Early 2007 MBP running at 65-75C!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidgoduke, Jan 9, 2010.

1. davidgoduke macrumors member

My MBP has been for the past couple of weeks always running at 65-75 degrees celsius, and this is when I only have Mail, Safari, and iTunes open. Safari has 3 tabs open, iTunes isn't even playing any music, and Mail isn't doing anything. This has been my average use of the computer since I've gotten it but for the past 3 weeks in particular it's been running very hot all the time. The fans do go on high but only for a couple minutes then return back to 2000rpm even if the temperature is still around 65. Do I need to conctact AppleCare or what. I also have smcFanControl but I don't want to have to run my fans at high 24/7. The sound is very loud and thats not supposed to be its normal use anyway. Any advice?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You should have researched your computer some. This seems like normal operating temps to me. Earlier mbp's run pretty hot. Reapplying thermal paste may help you reduce heat a little, but apart from that, there is nothing you or apple can do.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep, seems pretty normal to me. If you run the fans at 2000 rpm it's not that loud.

4. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

Yes 2000rpm is not loud at all but it doesnt cool the computer enough to have the temperature go down. And also today while just typing a word document it shot up to 90 degrees celsius! Now I know I have the earlier MBP but that is still extremely hot... and only from a word document! Is that normal?

5. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Make sure none of your web browser windows are displaying any Flash content. Stuff like banner ads for instance can really strain the CPU in your MBP causing temps to rise unnecessarily. Installing an ad-blocker for your browser can make a lot of difference.

Also check with Activity Monitor to see which applications are taxing the CPU the most. It can give you some insight as to what your MBP is doing for it to cause it to spike in temperature.

6. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

ahh yes thank you! my (flash player (safari internet plug-in)) was using 106% of my CPU which was probably doing it. I forced quit it and now im running at 55 celsius. thanks again for your help