Early 2008 15" MBP Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tigersmind, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Tigersmind macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

In May, my MBP started malfunctioning. While I'm not sure the specs on the computer (I'm at work right now away from my fancy doorstop), as the title mentions, it's the early 2008 model 15". My MBP boots, but I can't click on anything and it doesn't seem to be a trackpad issue. When I brought it in to an Apple-certified repair shop, the kid said that my computer wouldn't talk to their diagnostic program and thru process of elimination (switching out various hardware components), determined that it was a logicboard issue and it needed to be replaced. Due to a couple factors, I don't know if I necessarily believe him. He told me to look into the NVIDIA issue, and I have. Apple has assured me that it isn't the cause of the malfunction and they won't replace the logicboard.

I'm hoping that someone here is familiar with this problem or has experienced it before and could offer me some insight. Next week, I'm going to be unemployed and what money I have is going toward my student loans. If this isn't a logicboard issue, I really need to know. If it is, would anyone happen to know where to find a replacement cheaply? I can't just replace this computer.

The link provided is a video I took of my MBP misbehaving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8oRrxEAFY

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Amanda

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Does tap to click function properly? Meaning would double tapping on a folder open it up? I'm thinking only the button might have died. If that's the case you can probably get by using tap to click or an external mouse.

This is definitely not the nVidia issue though, so you're out of luck on that front for sure.

P.S. I like your voice.:D

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

4. Tigersmind thread starter macrumors newbie

I can tab and use arrow keys to highlight most icons, but clicking enter does not open them. I can't get anything to open by selecting via keyboard. I don't think it's a trackpad issue, unfortunately. :/

And LOL, thanks. I can't say anyone has ever complimented my voice before. :p

5. Tigersmind thread starter macrumors newbie

I run Leopard, if that helps any. Also, could it be a virus? Has anyone experienced a virus on their MBP?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Can't be a virus as there are no virus running in the wild for OS X at the moment, and never has been.

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help for you.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It does not seem NVIDIA or virus related in the bit.

Can you use a wireless or wired mouse? Does it act the same if you can or does it work properly?

Once on my MBP 2,1 the battery swelled and was against the trackpad so that I couldn't click anything. Have you noticed any swelling/unevenness on the bottom of the case?

I'm assuming that it is no longer under Applecare correct?

8. Jrv macrumors regular

...way to be a creeper.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Aww come on, can't take a joke?