Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I have the base model 15" MacBook Pro from January 2008 (2.4 GHz Santa Rosa, if I recall correctly). My wife's MacBook just died, so she needs a new computer. She uses hers for checking email, surfing the Web, iPhoto, iTunes, etc. I use mine for the same, but also for hobby-level photography, music recording (GarageBand now, but eventually Logic), and art programs. We're considering two options: 1) She gets a new MacBook, and I keep my current MBP. 2) I get a new 13" MBP (the base model has the same size hard drive and amount of RAM as my 15" MBP) and she gets my old MBP. 95% of the time, I keep my MBP connected to an external monitor, so the extra portability of the 13" would suit me fine. My wife never connects an external monitor, so she'd be thrilled with my old 15". My question is whether the current base-model 13" MBP has any performance or feature benefits over the 2008 MBP that would warrant spending the extra $200 over just buying a new MacBook for my wife.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
CPU and RAM are the most you need and those are same in your current and 13" MBP so no, there wouldn't be an upgrade in performance, unless you get the new 15" with i5.

MBP is IMO better buy anyway, it has 4GB RAM, SD card slot, backlit KB and FW800, all that for 200$ more. Then you can decide whether to keep your current or give it to your wife (if she wants the bigger screen)

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx
Well, I was setting with a friend and, after reading your post to him, he said " Well do you wanna sleep on the couch?!"

I think it would be a much better "political" move to buy her the "New" one and keep you old one. Don't want the wife a bit upset over getting hand-me-downs when they are, for the most part, the same computer. It Keeps her happy which in the marriage equation equals your happiness. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
CPU and RAM are the most you need and those are same in your current and 13" MBP so no, there wouldn't be an upgrade in performance, unless you get the new 15" with i5.

MBP is IMO better buy anyway, it has 4GB RAM, SD card slot, backlit KB and FW800, all that for 200$ more. Then you can decide whether to keep your current or give it to your wife (if she wants the bigger screen)

Thanks -- that's kind of what I figured. I originally was thinking of getting a 27" iMac for myself, since I love the screen real estate and other features, and then a Rev 2 iPad next year for those times I do want portability. However, the iMac is substantially more expensive, and a major refresh is supposedly coming in two or three months. If it were just me, I'd wait, but my wife can't be computerless for that long. Then there's the least-expensive-in-the-short-term option: buying a Mac Mini for myself now, buying an iMac next year, and turning the Mini into a media server. Decisions, decisions...

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Well, I was setting with a friend and, after reading your post to him, he said " Well do you wanna sleep on the couch?!"

I think it would be a much better "political" move to buy her the "New" one and keep you old one. Don't want the wife a bit upset over getting hand-me-downs when they are, for the most part, the same computer. It Keeps her happy which in the marriage equation equals your happiness. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Ordinarily, I'd agree, but the reason her old MB died is because she accidentally knocked over an almost-empty glass of wine onto it. It was just enough to fry the logic board. So she feels really bad, and will be happy with anything, but would actually prefer an old 15" to a new 13". I, being a guy, of course look for any excuse to upgrade a piece of technology, but I don't really need to at this point.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I'd take the 13". Especially since your wife is fine on taking the 15"

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks -- that's kind of what I figured. I originally was thinking of getting a 27" iMac for myself, since I love the screen real estate and other features, and then a Rev 2 iPad next year for those times I do want portability. However, the iMac is substantially more expensive, and a major refresh is supposedly coming in two or three months. If it were just me, I'd wait, but my wife can't be computerless for that long. Then there's the least-expensive-in-the-short-term option: buying a Mac Mini for myself now, buying an iMac next year, and turning the Mini into a media server. Decisions, decisions...

iMac is only 1449$ from refurb store. Yes, it's more expensive but cheaper than Mini + iMac combo. The screen is enormous and the CPU is nearly 30% faster, let alone better GPU and up to 16GB of RAM. Or for 250$ more, you can get i5 which is absolutely a beast by being about 221% faster than your current Mac is (just raw calculation; 2.66*4 / 2.4*2 = 2.21...). The update will unlikely affect the high end iMac so that would be pretty safe buy.

I would get the i5 iMa if your budget allows you. If it doesn't, then a Mini, possibly a refurb might be a good temporary machine and you can wait for Sandy Bridge iMac

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
iMac is only 1449$ from refurb store. Yes, it's more expensive but cheaper than Mini + iMac combo. The screen is enormous and the CPU is nearly 30% faster, let alone better GPU and up to 16GB of RAM. Or for 250$ more, you can get i5 which is absolutely a beast by being about 221% faster than your current Mac is (just raw calculation; 2.66*4 / 2.4*2 = 2.21...). The update will unlikely affect the high end iMac so that would be pretty safe buy.

I would get the i5 iMa if your budget allows you. If it doesn't, then a Mini, possibly a refurb might be a good temporary machine and you can wait for Sandy Bridge iMac

Thanks -- I'll see if I can talk myself into the i5 iMac. :D But the refurb is a pretty good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.