Early 2008 15in Fan? Do both always run or....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bds120, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bds120 macrumors member

Looking at iStat, looking like my right fan is not running.

Are they both suppose to run at all times or does one run until a certain temperature then the second clicks on?

I am a new Mac owner. Just happen to spot this a second ago after upgrading to Mavericks.

2. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind,

I resolved the issue. Took it apart and realized one right fan was disconnected. Must of happen when I was reapplying the new thermal paste.

3. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

So...

You took apart your 4,1 Penryn completely and redid the thermal paste?
    That's a big job and frankly one I find to be scary. Good to hear you just had one connection to fix.

Have you seen any improvement on temps? :apple:

4. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Here are the pics and everything. I think it is definitely running a bit cooler(I plan to watch it a little more now that the paste has had a few hours to really settle even though it is stated to not need any curing time). Watching vids and such yesterday the highest temp I saw was 148F by the GPU diode. Everything else hovered around 100F-110F.

Seeing that I bought this as a crossover from Windows to Mac and that I got it for such a great price, I think it may of been one of my best tech investments to date.

Purchase Price = $100
    Seagate 600 240gb SSD = $110
    Already had 4gb of RAM

Total = 210. But I sold my old HP laptop for $140 so grand total is only $70.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Whoa....

That is truly amazing. Forget the price, you did a great job on the logic board. How did you get it all in such great shape? It looks practically new.

The temperatures are nothing to sneeze at either. Wow. :cool:

(Btw, you can max out to 6GB RAM going with one 4GB chip.)

6. durkkin macrumors regular

7. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I get a little engulfed and focus on the objective and make it happen.

I have no idea how I got it in such good shape. I said the same thing to myself when I first saw it. I just took a little leap on faith and it worked out great. A fellow motorcycle rider here in my area works on them and resells them and such. I believe he decided to just let this one go without the hassle and turned out to be a great pickup for myself. It has no dings or nothing. No dents in the top or anything.

6GB is already in the works. Got my eye on a 4gb stick as I type this.

As far as the motherboard goes, I just took my time spotted the screws and started. Took a old egg carton and label each cup for which screws and went at it. Basically did it all in about 45-50 minutes.