Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceezy3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
The Valley!!
i have a black macbook, the last ones they made and im thinking of trading it in for the 2.0 ghz aluminum macbook. what im wondering how would speed compare on these computers? would my old macbook be faster cus processor speed or new aluminum cus of 1066 mhz front side bus?

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Why would you downgrade your machine? What is the reason for wanting to get a 2.0 GHz Aluminum? I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Why would you downgrade your machine? What is the reason for wanting to get a 2.0 GHz Aluminum? I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

sure the CPU is slower, but the GPU kicks the old one's ass haha. But you're correct on what you want to do w/ it. If you want to play more games, then yes a alu macbook will do you wonders, if you want CPU intensive tasks like encoding video, ripped from a DVD etc, then the 2.4 will be faster of course. But I fully support the alu macbooks, awesome machines.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Day to day, you'll never notice the difference, unless you're constantly performing heavy CPU-load tasks.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
How would you trade in an old MacBook for the new Alum.? I have a white(2.4GZh) late 2008.

-Apple Canada is allowed to do this too?

I don't think he meant "trade" in the traditional sense. Apple doesn't do "trades." I think he meant to buy a Unibody to replace the blackbook.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Have a look here and go to the Performance section:
http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/alumabook/#perf

It looks like the 2.0GHz Aluminum Macbook can nearly match the 2.2GHz Macbook Pro. The 2.0GHz won't quite match the 2.4GHz CPU, but the faster FSB and GeForce 9400M makes it a better all rounder than the old Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.