Early 2008 24" iMac screen problems; smudges/clouds

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Teresa-Giudice, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Teresa-Giudice macrumors newbie

Anyone know what this could be? I noticed it about a week ago and it doesn't want to disappear. It looks like a smear/cloud a couple of inches in size; is it just dust? I thought it might have been screen burn from another wallpaper, as my screen commonly suffers from this, but it's been a few days and I have been making sure the screen isn't always on, so I don't think it is that. I even noticed a few dead pixels while checking the screen. :p

I've booked an Genius bar appointment for tomorrow, and if there is any problem with the screen then I should be fine as I have AppleCare. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas, and what can I expect tomorrow?

[​IMG]
    http://grab.by/3L0q

2. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

buy suction caps (2) and remove the glass by yourself, carefully.
    clean with alcohol .. (i use amway's see spray)

to pervent this, put a filter (like from a dustbroomer) on the lower part of the imac where the ram is ..

4. Teresa-Giudice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that link. :) It looks very similar.

No thanks.

It's odd - if I leave a screensaver on for a couple of hours and return, it seems to have nearly entirely faded (such as burn-in/persistent image), but after 30 minutes it returns to being distinct and visible as before. :confused: I don't think it's dust.

5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I had similar... took it to Apple and they repaired it...

They wouldn't tell me what the problem was other than the LCD went bad.

6. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

This is interesting, any specific product you recommend? I also notice that the back of the iMac has a circular vent that sucks air and could be where dust gets drawn in. Perhaps an air filter would be useful for that too?

7. natewsmith macrumors regular

Those aren't smudges!

You are having Burn IN!

Oh I had an LCD burn in with my 24". It wasn't very visible for a while but then it started coming back more and more and they replaced EVERYTHING underneath the sun!

They first started off by replacing the power supply and all the cabeles, logic board, video card and then finally decided to replace the LCD at that point. A week later I could visibly read better the words that weren't there on my screen on my backdrop picture.

They did all these steps because if you turn the computer off long enough it will go away but will return.

Mine was on the other side. I could actually see the Facebook icons on the bottom of the screen! They will get thicker and darker the longer.

They also thought it was dust behind. I didn't have very good Apple Geniuses! HAHA

If you have Apple Care start taking it in and having them replace things. If you have 3 major repairs and the problem is still there they will replace it like they did for me.

Nate

8. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I think that is quite strange in my case as my i7 iMac is only two months old. Perhaps a faulty screen? I've tried turning my computer off a couple of times and the smudges on mine seem to be permanent. Anyway I hope this problem is not a persistent thing. I honestly love how nice my i7 feels and very satisfied with it. However, even if they replace it over and over again, I don't think I would want to regularly go through the hassle of sending my iMac to the shop everytime. :eek:

I hope this is not a common problem among other i7 iMac owners and mine is an isolated case of a faulty screen.

9. Teresa-Giudice thread starter macrumors newbie

They are in the process of replacing my screen. The Genius was very helpful. As the problem doesn't appear until after about 30 minutes of usage, I showed him a photograph on my phone and he instantly said he'd set me up with a replacement screen. No problem. He said it's a very common issue, and called it 'LCD bruising'? Something to do with internals heating the LCD from behind.

10. jkarol3 macrumors newbie

Imc 24" screen smudges, lines

I had the same issue as others, Dark lines and smudges on the screen after warming up. Apple replaced my screen two times (each one lasted <12 months). LCD failure.

11. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

I usually just clean it with water and a microtones cloth and usually it helps

12. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

If you go read around its not dust. The marks on the screen seem more like burn in marks then dust. Had my 27 inch iMac's screen replaced because of this.

13. lastmile macrumors member

I've got this and have had it since my 24" 2008 iMac was almost new. After using it for awhile I get this on the left side of the screen which does look like burn in. But I've had that problem once elsewhere when the screen saver didn't come on for a day. And I corrected it easily. The problem on the left side of the screen happens almost all the time and once I stop using the iMac for awhile the LCD looks fine. I'm almost sure its due to the graphics card and how warm the left side of the computer gets.

I'm really getting annoyed with Apple at this point. The first time I took it in they said they couldn't replicate the problem. I, perhaps stupidly, took it back thinking maybe an OS or firmware update would adjust the system fans and take away the problem.

I finally took it back in in August. They had it for days and called and left me a voicemail saying the couldn't replicate the issue. I especially love how the guy was apologetic about holding it so long and he knows I want to come and get it because not having it is SO terrible. No, I want it fixed. However, the next voicemail is him telling me they did something else and found the problem. They replaced the LCD. I didn't think that was the issue but its free so whatever.

It soon started doing it again though not yet as bad as before. For various reasons it took me awhile before I could take it back in, one being that I'm always a bit nervous carrying it around in a huge box that says I'm an expensive computer grab me and run. But its at the Apple Store now. And I keep getting messages and calling back to hear them explain again how they can't reproduce it.

It will soon be out of Applecare and I may want to sell it. This is going to destroy its value. I think the problem appears relatively quickly, maybe 30 to 45 minutes. But I don't pay attention to it all the time! Yes I may be using the computer for 4 hours straight but I'm not staring at one window the whole time, the browser may not get moved but I'm opening and closing other windows over the area so its not like a totally static image.

I'm probably going to have to call Apple. I feel like an iMac hypochondriac. Its not the environment because its been in several different places all of which have been fine for countless other computers. I tired to explain in more detail what happens and I know they've probably been running fancy stress tests and **** and that isn't doing it.

I have owned all kinds of computers including plenty of PCs, Macs, and things no ones ever heard of. But the iMac is by far the best. It was also the most expensive but worth it even with this issue - that is IF they fix it. OK, rant over.