Early 2008 (April) 2.4ghz Peryn macbook pro noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Aug 11, 2009.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it's normal that I hear my macbook pro in my room when there is no noise. it's just running normal. Is it supposed to be almost dead silent?

What could make the sound? Hard drive? fans? processor? If I have applecare and send it in, could they change the piece that makes the noise? If it's the hard drive but it's working fine, I assume they won't change it and I can't really change it either because it would void the warranty..

thank you :)

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Describe the noise ?
    Is it constant. does it sound like a noisy fan ? Or a whirring HD ? My MBP (same model as yours) makes a noise when starting up from sleep, but that is the superdrive initiating, and then it is silent.

Rather than sending it in, if you have an Apple store nearby, you could take it in and they could assess it there for you

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

It is constant. It is like a whining noise all the time. I'm not sure if it's the fan or the hard drive though....

I do not have an apple store nearby, but there is a reseller here which repairs apple products.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I would buy a new HD and use Carbon Cloner asap-why take a chance?
    Applecare isn't going to replace your files.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Make an audio recording of the noise for us to hear. The most common culprit is a faulty fan, but it's also unlikely that both fans would become problematic at the same time.

6. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not even sure it is the hard drive. It's a strange noise. I was just wondering if any other person had or has the same problem as mine. it's quiet annoying to be honest.

7. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I might sound dumb, but how can I take an audio clip? using the macbook pro's microphone? Is there a free app. to do so?

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The built-in microphone may or may not capture the sound, but it's certainly worth a try. I know that you can record audio using GarageBand, but it may be simpler to use Audacity.