Early 2008 Battery replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIKE666, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

Hi,
    i need to buy a new battery for my MacBook Pro, just wondering if anyone has any experiences of longer lasting batteries?

also anyone know any trusted places to buy from that are cheaper than the £99 charge by apple?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I wouldn't trust any third-party battery - if any little thing is off, the whole machine could fry, or worse, it could burn.

3. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

any where to buy apple ones for cheaper then?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Amazon?

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No way to guarantee a genuine product from eBay.

7. Reapur macrumors regular

Your battery is already pooched? How long does it last on an average day of use? It seems a little soon to be replacing a battery after only 2 years.

8. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

ive had 257 cycles and its at 77%, however it lasts 2 hours max (more like 1 and a half) if i lightly use it with brightness at lowest with wifi on.

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

OK, what about me?

~72%, and ~222 cycles.

System Profiler says to check battery, and the Snow Leopard menu bar says to service battery.

Does Amazon.com sell batteries cheaper than :apple:?

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Is it really that hard to check yourself...?

I have a late '08 MacBook Pro (unibody) and my battery is on 286 cycles and says the health is 100%. However, I have problems running it for more than 2 hours. In a way, this battery issue makes me regret changing from my late '07 MacBook which still today has a battery life of 4+ hours.

Anyway, back on topic. Definitely stick with an Apple battery, as my friend who had a MacBook Pro had his laptop fried and when he sent it in to be fixed, they told him it was because of the battery (which wasn't an Apple one).

If I'm not mistaken, this is the battery you need:
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA348LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284369850&sr=8-1

11. Covart Guest

If you have Applecare, it will be replaced free of charge. Even if you don't have Applecare, it can't hurt to go into an Apple store and ask if it can be replaced.

12. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Me? I don't have AppleCare. Seeing as the nearest Apple Store is about 80-100 kms away (50-60 miles), and the local "Premium Reseller" is really bad, with VERY bad costumer support, I'll call them first.

When I have lowest brightness (but keep backlight on), Airport off, and BlueTooth off, the battery usually last 2-3 hours. I can make it go to 4 hours if I turn backlight off or completely turn off the display.

AnonMac50

13. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

great i have applecare, i thought that because it was older than a year though it wouldn't be covered by applecare?

mine also says service battery, overnight it will lose 20% while the computer is in sleep mode.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

AppleCare does cover the battery out to 3 years if there is actually something wrong with it.

15. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

thats good news, do they take your old one off you or let you keep them both?

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They take it.

17. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

rang applecare, they told me the battery is not covered and i will have to buy a new one which is a bit disappointing but its what i thought originally.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's not good news. They must have only replaced mine because it was expanding. You could try again, with a different rep.

19. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

i will ring again, tomorrow, i spent half an hour on the phone.