Early 2008 iMac HDD Fan 0 rpm

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dale040205, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dale040205 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 8,1 and iStat shows my fans as such:

Optical Drive: 4792 rpm
    Hard Drive: 0 rpm
    CPU: 1597 rpm

Here are the temp readings (in F):

HD: MAC HD: 112
    CPU: 108
    CPU Heatsink: 104
    Airport Card: 88
    Ambient: 65 (more like 70)
    GPU: 113
    GPU Diode: 133
    GPU Heatsink: 113

This started a few months ago. My Mac is now out of warranty. Shortly after it went out of warranty I started having issues with the screen (wouldn't boot and had a grey screen with vertical bars) and Apple had to replace the GPU. As soon as I started having issues with the screen I noticed one of the fans running really loud. Thinking the problem was related, I just got the GPU replaced. I still have a really loud fan, but I'm not sure just how many fans my particular machine actually has. iStat shows one fan not running and another maxed out. So what issue am I actually facing before I go to open up my computer? I'm looking to replace the hard drive here soon with an SSD and I'm thinking I'll take care of the fan at the same time.

I've noticed some people's fan problems being their logic board. Is this a part I can purchase myself somewhere? I've tried looking (some) but haven't had much luck. Thanks for the help.

2. dale040205 thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to find some more info about the logic board and decided if the problem with the fans is the logic board, I'll have to live with fast fans. I've used just about every fan control app and I can't get it to slow down. It just seems odd that one reports 0 rpm and the other is maxed out.