Early 2008 iMac RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by surfer92, Jun 2, 2014.

1. surfer92 macrumors newbie

I've had this iMac since 08 or 09 and it's usually been fast (for me) and the upgrade to Mavericks was fine. Lately the computer has been super slow (keyboard volume rocker delay, taking forever to open applications etc.). I thought this was due to a virus but after a scan and some research, I think it's the RAM. I noticed it acting really slow after I updated to 10.9.3 a couple days ago. It currently has 2GB total RAM.

According to the Apple website, I can install a total of 4GB RAM. I also saw that it's possible to install 6GB but I saw this on YouTube comments so I'll take that with a grain of salt. 6GB would be great though. The iMac has a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Anyway, does it seem like this an issue of not enough RAM space? If so, could you recommend any particular RAM sticks that would be good for the price? The computer's 6 years old so I don't want to go crazy with investing in it.

Some info from the Apple website on RAM upgrade requirements:
    DDR2
    PC2-6400
    Unbuffered
    Nonparity
    200-pin
    800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

This would be my first time working on a computer but I've worked on an xbox and feel more than capable of doing this. I just don't really understand the "computer language".

Thanks

2. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I'm running my 2008 iMac with 6gb.. it made a big difference.

3. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying you can put 6GB in? Why would Apple say 4 is the max?

4. Lord Daedra macrumors newbie

I can confirm, 6Gb is much better than 4, so I updated it... Also added (replaced main hard drive) 240Gb Intel SSD.

Now I'm waiting for new iMac with better video system, but my current iMac is not bad too... (for programming or media, for example)...

Why only 4Gb official? Because of Apple like your money.) You will spent much more if you will buy new iMac instead of just updating RAM.

----------

It's WWDC time, where is new iMac??

5. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer