Early 2008 iMac - replace HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr. McKay, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2008 24" iMac (2.8Ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb RAM) and has served me well.

I'm not quite ready to replace it yet. It's still fast enough for what I do (and it's by no means a slow computer). I would, however, like to replace the small 320Gb HD with a 1Tb one.
    That way, I'd have enough space to make two 500Gb partitions, one for SL, one for bootcamp Win7. All the games I have (Wow, WC3 and Steam games) work with Windows as well and that would, in a sense, make my computer faster for games. For a relatively small cost, I could have (kind of) have a new machine.

But, is it safe/difficult to do ? I've seen some guides and it involves removing screws and wiring. I'm afraid I'll ruin my iMac.
    Can anyone provide me with some useful tips ?

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If you've built or taken a Windows PC apart to add/upgrade something - it'll be harder than that. If you've taken a laptop apart to fix something inside - it'll be easier than that.

If you aren't confident with your motor skills and hand - eye coordination in small spaces, I'd think twice.

Look for teardowns and videos online...lots of folks have done it, so it's not that difficult, but there is a risk of damaging something if you aren't careful.

3. excommie macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but putting one of t he newer 1TB/2TB hard drives in an enclosure on the Firewire 800 bus should yield similar results as putting the HD internally? The HD will probably not saturate the FW800 bus?

4. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no FW800 (only FW400), plus I don't think I can put a bootcamp partition on an external drive...

5. excommie macrumors regular

Are you sure about not having FW800? I have the same iMac and I am using FW800. You're right that Windows needs to be on an internal drive though.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you've tinkered with the insides of computers before then it's a pretty easy process - if not then have someone else do it.

Here's a guide: (there's not one for the 24" but it's exactly the same as the 20") http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac-Intel-20-Inch-EMC-2133-and-2210-Hard-Drive-Replacement/1008/1

The only recommendation I have is to have another set hands available for taking off the bezel - one person to gentle hold it open while another disconnects the microphone cable (step 5). It's doable by yourself, but an utter PITA.

7. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, I have FW800. I just don't use it, though, I have a FW400 external HD. Never took any notice of it. :eek:

I have some experience, although only with desktops. But I feel pretty confident :D