Early 2008 Mac Pro 8-Core vs Early 2009 Mac Pro Quad-Core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klazer, May 25, 2009.

1. klazer macrumors newbie

Hello, I have been thinking about selling my Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8GHZ and getting one of those i7 Quad Core Mac Pros. From what I've heard, the Nehalem is supposed to be twice as fast? Does that really mean an Xeon 8-Core is nearly identical to a i7 4-Core?

Now mine has an ATI 2600 HD. Now how much better is the nVidia GT 120? I am just using Maya and doing quite complicated scenes sometimes. Don't really play games too much.

I also would like to take advantage of the Back to School Promotion coming up, and just getting an overall better computer since I wouldn't be loosing very much by selling it, actually would be gaining a bit. It came with free extended Apple Care, and I of course got a $200 student discount, as well as no sales tax. So this offers me a bit of leeway.

Thanks!

2. nutritious macrumors 6502

If you can afford it, I'd do it. I'd get the new Mac Pro with the GTX 285. But I'd only get the 8 core i7, and no, it won't be twice as fast., but you will notice a considerable difference...

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

If you think you can gain a bit of money or it won't cost you much, go for it. I always like having the latest thing. Honestly though, I don't think you'll see much of a performance difference. In fact, in multi-threaded apps the 2.8 octo is beating the Nehalem quad 2.66 (according to Bare Feats). I was debating between both machines but got the Nehalem since most stuff is still not multi-threaded all that well. The Nehalems sure are more expensive though.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't think it's a wise idea. The computer you have will be equal/faster in single threaded applications (like Photoshop and possibly Maya, I'm not sure) and significantly better in multi threaded applications (Handbrake, Final Cut etc)

If you're suffering poor GPU performance (which I know you are with that card) then upgrade to the Radeon 4870. It's vastly superior and isn't much more expensive than the GT 120. It would be dumb to sell the whole computer and buy a new one just to upgrade one component.

2) No, but the processor they did is very similar. Both i7 and the Xeon Apple uses are essentially the same chip. The quad core model is effectively an i7 920 with a few bells and whistles on.

6. nutritious macrumors 6502

xeon and i7 are practically the same chip...

7. klazer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks guys. I just wanted it to be a bit more future-proof. I wasn't selling it just because of that one component though. I probably couldn't really afford a 8-Core i7, anyways.