Early 2008 Mac Pro & Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kirkbross, Nov 13, 2013.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I know the early 2008 Mac Pro is officially supported but I'm wondering if there might be accounts of people experiencing funky performance?

2. satcomer, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have been using Mavericks from day 1 on my 2008 Mac Dual Pro. I also have the ATI 5700 video card installed. So having a video card that is somewhat newer helps a lot.

One thing I wished I did was a fresh install to get rid of old scruff on this 5 year old Mac. So I urge you first backup/clone your Main Drive. Then if you can spare it Move your iTunes Library to another drive along with moving your iPhoto/pictures to an external. Then follow the steps To create a bootable USB to install Mavericks (I made one and tested it and it does work!).

Lastly check with all the manufactures of you critical software that they have 10.9 version out yet. A lot of programs aren't ready for 10.9. Lastly pay attention to one new Security privacy section in System Preferences ->Security, Privacy mini-tab. There is now an allow check boxes for some programs that needs pay attention too.

Lastly one tip I use (and it still works) is getting Airdrop to work on your 2008 Mac (if it has a wireless N Airport card). Just fire up Terminal and put in the code:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Then option key+Dock Finder icon and choose 'Relaunch' You now will Airdrop in your older Mac Pro.

3. kirkbross, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I installed Mavericks last night (as an update, NOT a clean install).

Sadly, I am now experiencing frequent system freezes that last for around 20 seconds or so.

Being an experienced PC builder, it reminds me of extreme latency caused by RAM shortage... like the system is trying to keep up with the input.

Not sure what to do... I may have to suck it up and do a clean install and see if that helps.

Also, Safari stopped working after the last Mountain Lion update... it just renders white pages and trashing the plist files didn't help.

4. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I have an early 2008 17" MBP and ..

There is definitely issues with 10.9 and this computer: freezes on startup, freezes on shutdown , etc.

Here are two things that temporarily address the freezing issues:

1. Reset SMC. This is really important
    2. And then do MULTIPLE resets of PRAM in a row. I do three and it seems to do the trick.
    If you are unfamiliar with doing them, just use 'the google' and there are a lot of entries.

Let me know if that help you as it has helped me.

P.S. And when it freezes again, you'll need to do the SMC/PRAM reset again. Yes, its a pain in the zzz but it works for while.

5. snarfquest macrumors regular

I did a clean install of Mavericks GM and then later upgraded to 10.9.1 on my 2008 MacPro.

Specs:

16 GB ram
    2x 2.8GHz Quad-Core
    ATI Radeon 5770 1gb
    1x CalDigit eSATA/USB3 Card
    2x HighPoint Raid eSATA cards
    16x 3TB NAS (red) WD drives in a RAID5
    4x 2TB drives RAID10
    4x 1TB drives RAID10

Running OSX Server 3.0.1

System has been stable as a rock.

6. MacPhotog macrumors newbie

I'm going to be migrating my "Early '08" Mac Pro to Mavericks today.

I'm planning to completely format the SSD boot disk and clean install Mavericks (off of a burned bootable install DVD).

Specs:
    Mac Pro 3,1 ("Early 2008")
    2x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
    8GB RAM
    120GB SSD boot disk
    2x 2TB RAID1 array
    various video cards, eSATA, etc. other stuff...

I'll come back with an update on how it went.