Early 2008 Mac Pro problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Data-Base, May 12, 2010.

1. Data-Base macrumors member

Data-Base

Hello,

I have an Early 2008 Mac Pro 3.2 GHz dual CPU (8 Cores in total)

one day I started the system as usual and the system start till the Apple Gray Logo appears and then it reboots and keep doing this in (loop)

I started the Apple Hardware Diagnose and it hangs in the middle!

the Apple Authorized shop/repair people told me (after the tried to fix it) it is mostly the Logic Board

can it be the RAM or the CPUs?

my mac is out of warranty and the cost to fix it is crazy! so I was thinking I can buy the parts and replace it my self

any advice?

cheers

2. Data-Base thread starter macrumors member

Data-Base

Thank you, I did all of that already :-(

itseems I need to replace the LB by myself :eek:

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Look for the service source on Scribd first.
    Try to power up your Mac without graphics card and minimal amount of RAM and check DIAG LEDs (vide service manual).
    You can also try to boot with only one CPU installed (MP is able to run with one CPU - in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=745426&highlight=x5355 you will find in which socket it must be, i don't remember now).
    If it all fails, start to looking for friend with working MP 2008 to test your components separately ;) to confirm (or not) Authorized diagnose.

4. cutterman macrumors regular

Dont know if you have the same design as my 2,1 2007 MP, but I would suggest reseating the memory daughter cards. If no go label the ram sticks, remove, and then install in pairs to see if it is a memory problem. If that doesnt work try the other suggestions in the previous post.