Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Any experience with these Ram brands?
Both on Amazon for decent prices.

NEMIX RAM
Komputerbay

Any you recommend?

I have a 2008 Mac Pro thats still ticking. Use it for daily tasks.

Considering upgrading my ram. Currently have 10gb

Thinking about removing two of the 1gb and getting 4 4gb which would give me 22gb.

OWC prices have sky rocketed so I'm looking elsewhere especially for this older machine.

Last edited:

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I've used Data Memory Systems for at least 15 years.

Had a RAM stick go bad a few years ago, they replaced it under warranty immediately with no hassle.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-mac-pro-8-core-2-x-quad-core-intel-xeon-3-2ghz-ma970ll/a-early-2008-memory-upgrades/

thanks for the reply. a bit too pricey for me. the ram on amazon is about half the price

http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-P...+pro+ram&pebp=1421468416445&peasin=B005HIWDFK

btw I see your a guitarist in NY? Play in a band? I play guitar myself.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
thanks for the reply. a bit too pricey for me. the ram on amazon is about half the price

http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-P...+pro+ram&pebp=1421468416445&peasin=B005HIWDFK

I believe that RAM you are referencing on amazon is used.

If it were me, I would buy new from datamemorysystems.com I too have used them for years. Over the top support, direct contact with a knowledgable tech that knows what you are talking about if you need it.

It's not used, its brand new. I don't see anywhere that it says used, where did you get that from? It also comes with a lifetime warranty as I'm noticing most ram does.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I bought 16GB (4x4GB) of 800Mhz FB-DIMMs from Komputerbay on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HIWDFK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

They were utter crap. Avoid these crooks. Two FB-DIMMs were dead & my 2008 Mac Pro wouldn't even boot with them installed. The other two FB-DIMMs were recognised as 2GB 667MHz not the 4GB 800MHz I had paid for. It was a tortuous process to get a refund & I eventually had to invoke an A-to-z Guarantee Claim from Amazon to force them to refund me. All in all it took about 4 weeks to get my money back. It was obviously no surprise to them that the FB-DIMMs didn't work as they didn't even bother offering to replace them.

----------

A good money saving tip is that the far more common & cheaper 667MHz FB-DIMMs (as used in the Mac Pro 1,1 & 2,1 models) can be used instead of the 800MHz parts. In real life use the performance is indistinguishable & Barefeats benchmarked the 667MHz RAM at only 4% slower than 800MHz.

lwwz

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
OWC prices have sky rocketed so I'm looking elsewhere especially for this older machine.

Seriously! What is up with that? I'm finding almost everything that isn't OWC made is ridiculously expensive AND available for 50-75% less elsewhere. Makes me wonder if they're trying to get out of the "Not Invented Here" hardware sales.

lwwz

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
That sucks. I'm also a DMS customer and have used them for our production server upgrades as well as my own and they're very reasonable. OWC now wants $1719 for 4x4GB FB-DIMMs, Crucial.com wants $600 and DMS wants $260.

That's an interesting idea about going with the 667Mhz DIMMs to save money. Looks like they're $265 for the 4x4GB even from OWC! and only $196 from DMS. Crucial doesn't sell the 667Mhz FB DIMMs anymore.

I think I'd take the 800Mhz from DMS for $260. At this point, these old rigs need that last 4%! :)

I bought 16GB (4x4GB) of 800Mhz FB-DIMMs from Komputerbay on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HIWDFK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

They were utter crap. Avoid these crooks. Two FB-DIMMs were dead & my 2008 Mac Pro wouldn't even boot with them installed. The other two FB-DIMMs were recognised as 2GB 667MHz not the 4GB 800MHz I had paid for. It was a tortuous process to get a refund & I eventually had to invoke an A-to-z Guarantee Claim from Amazon to force them to refund me. All in all it took about 4 weeks to get my money back. It was obviously no surprise to them that the FB-DIMMs didn't work as they didn't even bother offering to replace them.

----------

A good money saving tip is that the far more common & cheaper 667MHz FB-DIMMs (as used in the Mac Pro 1,1 & 2,1 models) can be used instead of the 800MHz parts. In real life use the performance is indistinguishable & Barefeats benchmarked the 667MHz RAM at only 4% slower than 800MHz.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I've used Data Memory Systems for at least 15 years.

Had a RAM stick go bad a few years ago, they replaced it under warranty immediately with no hassle.

I'm also a DMS customer and have used them for our production server upgrades as well as my own and they're very reasonable.

I can confirm the other Forum Member's experiences concerning DMS. I've been a DMS customer since 1986 when I upgraded the RAM on my first Mac, a Mac Plus. In all that time I've never had to replace a stick of their RAM. However, years ago, I had a Transcend USB stick, that they sold me, go bad. They replaced it with no problems. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Lou

Dartanian77

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
In my experience Komputerbay is nearly a criminal organization. Avoid to the ends of the earth.
I've used Mac RAM Direct many times and they also carry the Apple factory RAM: http://macramdirect.com/macpro.html

Ramjet is another good source thou you will pay a bit more for the privilege

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
It's not used, its brand new. I don't see anywhere that it says used, where did you get that from? It also comes with a lifetime warranty as I'm noticing most ram does.

I suppose it could be new, but the URL you referenced did not even mention if it was new or used. So I assumed used given the very appealing pricetag and the fact that (also guessing) those modules probably out of production.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Mac Plus

Attachments

• Mac Plus!.png
    Mac Plus!.png
    611.5 KB · Views: 259

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Any experience with these Ram brands?
Both on Amazon for decent prices.

NEMIX RAM
Komputerbay

Any you recommend?

I have a 2008 Mac Pro thats still ticking. Use it for daily tasks.

Considering upgrading my ram. Currently have 10gb

Thinking about removing two of the 1gb and getting 4 4gb which would give me 22gb.

I purchased Nemix RAM for my Mac Pro 1,1. Thoroughly pleased with them. Well packaged, shipped with installation instructions, lifetime warranty. Highly recommend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.