Early 2008 macbook, Bad LCD or driver issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zahg, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Zahg macrumors newbie

Zahg

I got this the other day off craigslist for $250 (270 if you count gas money to pick it up) =p.
    Anyways, it has this vertical bar from in the left-center of the screen. It's not dead pixels, you can still see 'behind' it, but everything behind it turns slightly negative.
    Could this be a driver issue, is it 'image persistence', or should I just replace the LCD?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Looks like an issue with the connection between the LCD and the logic board. I'd open the little bugger up and check to see that the cable is securely attached, and then check the integrity of the cable itself along its length. ifixit.com has many good tutorials on taking apart your new MacBook. Good luck!

3. Zahg thread starter macrumors newbie

Zahg

Thanks for the quick response.

Reseated the cable, no change.
    The cable itself seems fine, no kinks or tears.

Is there a way to un/re install the gpu driver? Besides a full OS reinstall?
    I'm starting to doubt its a software issue(booted into safe mode, still there. Does OSX load the same gpu drivers in safe mode? Took a screenshot, it doesnt show up.) But I would like to be sure before shelling out another $100 on a new screen.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If it doesn't show up in a screenshot, then that means that the system is outputting a good video signal, but it is getting mucked up somewhere after the system generates it. If the cable is fine, then it sounds like it is indeed the LCD itself. You may want to plug in an external monitor and play about with that for a little while to make sure that the video system is working properly, and assuming it is, it would seem to be time for a new LCD.

And while you're at it, get that poor thing a new screen bezel that's not all cracked up :p

5. session101 macrumors regular

ok you have 3 options...

either you have a bad inverter....$40-$50

or maybe your invert cable need to just be replaced....$10

or you need to replace the whole LCD... $70-100

maybe someone had the same problem too
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/Device/MacBook