Early 2008 MacBook Pro 4,1 SSD fail...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sboychuck, Mar 18, 2017.

1. sboychuck macrumors regular

Just put a new Crucial MX300 525GB SSD into the listed computer. Prior to installing it I erased it and formatted it for OS X Journaled (extended) in an external USB enclosure that has its own power supply. Could not get the Mac to see the new SSD to get to Disk Utility on start-up. Thought I messed up the install, so I put the old drive back in and it started fine. Put the SSD back in and still could not get to it from start up. So, I used the enclosure with the old drive via USB and pressed option while starting up. I can see the old drive and Recovery. I click on recovery and after 15 minutes, nothing but a blank grey screen. I re-started and booted into the old drive and I can see the new drive listed as an internal drive. I erased it again and formatted it, but I cannot boot into disc utility when I re-start. I also have an install USB disc of El Capitan and it will not find it on start-up. So, I have a Time Machine back-up that I need to get onto the new internal SSD, but I cannot get the Mac to see it on Start-up. Any ideas...

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Try replacing the SATA cable inside your MBPro.
    One of the symptoms of a faulty cable is that an SSD might not work, even though the old hard drive may work just fine on the same cable. The SSD is so fast that a minor break in the cable can cause enough timing issues that the SSD might not even be seen on the cable, but the SSD may work fine in an external case. (and the old hard drive may still work when trying it again internally)
    Replace the SATA cable next.

3. sboychuck thread starter macrumors regular

4. sboychuck thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I kept working at it and finally have El Capitan on the new SSD. So, looks like I am going to migrate over from a Time Machine back-up and move forward. This one is solved. Thanks...