Early 2008 MacBook Pro Acting Weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sarmiento, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Sarmiento macrumors member

My 2008 MacBook Pro has been acting weird since the recent lion update. Very frequently (up to 10 times a day) I can't wake the computer up. The screen stays black and I get the SBBOD and I'm forced to do a hard reset. It seemed like it was related to the bluetooth because it was happening much more often when turned on but now it happens with it off as well.

I've also noticed that the volume buttons are not working as smooth. For example, sometimes it won't go lower than 3 bars and it seems like the number of times I hit the volume up or down doesn't seem right. For example, I'll hit the down 2 times to move down one bar once and then have to hit the down 5 times do move down one bar.

Also, I have been wanting to reset my PRAM but it doesn't seem to want to reset. I don't get the two audible tones but instead it restarts and restarts over and over again as long as I have the Option+Command+P+R pressed. I've also reset the SMC and nothing. (I have reset the PRAM in the past so I am familiar what it's supposed to sound like).

I'm thinking of going back to Snow Leopard and see if this continues but I'm concerned that I can't reset the PRAM.

(Also, I have confirmed that I do not have a Firmware Password).

Any suggestions? Or ideas what is happening?

:(

2. soundguy15 macrumors member

soundguy15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have the same model and haven't had any problems. However, I did clean install of Lion. You could try that and see if it helps.

3. Sarmiento thread starter macrumors member

I actually did a clean install this last time. Initially started over and re-installed Snow Leopard, then Lion but some of my apps weren't working properly so I did a clean install from the recovery HD since Lion was now installed and I was doing OK before the update.

Also, it all happened after the update but I can't recall exactly if it was happening immediately after or within 24 hours. It seems to be getting worse and happening more often until I turned off the bluetooth last night but I've had to perform a hard reset 3 times today and in all three cases I was on different programs. (Aperture, Safari, and View NX)

----------

The not being able to reset the PRAM is bothering me the most because this could be the solution if I can just get it to reset.

4. soundguy15 macrumors member

soundguy15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your HDD might be starting to fail. Try booting from and external backup and see if your problems persist.
    -------------
    As for the PRAM I have no idea. Take it to an apple store if you're close to one, or just call tech support.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not being able to wake up with the screen being black sounds like the nVidia 8600GT issue, I'd bring it in to an Apple Store to get it diagnosed, you may be due for a new logicboard.

6. anthony11 macrumors 6502

Indeed, my 2007 MBP did that a lot before having a mobo transplant for the nVidia lossage.

7. neenja macrumors 6502

i have the same machine, mine pretty much had the same symptoms before completely not starting. took it in and it was the video card issue, they replaced the logicboard (i never had apple care and am well out of warranty), took a few days and i was back up and running again

8. Sarmiento thread starter macrumors member

It started up again even on the external drive after a few hours. I'm starting to get the feeling you guys are right but the symptoms appear when the machine is busy and starts to get hot.

I guess I'll be taking it in this weekend.

Thanks for everyone's help!

9. Sarmiento thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It turns out it's the faulty NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT that can be repaired for free if it fails within 4 years of the original date of purchase.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Unfortunately, Apple Tech couldn't produce error code required to replace it for free. There system shows there is something wrong but couldn't get code after several attempts.

I got 11 months left for it to fail and in the meantime I have to deal with it locking up.