Early 2008 MacBook Pro Box and Stuck Pixel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StvRndy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. StvRndy macrumors member

I just bought a new early 2008 MacBook Pro because it was cheaper than the late 2.4 MacBook. But I noticed the box of MBP has double seal. There is a seal on top a seal. This bothers me because my MBP could have been opened before. Have you found a case like this before where there are two seal on the MBP box? Is this normal?

After some inspection of the MBP on the shop I found a stuck pixel with red color. When the background is blue or green it will become black. I got a chance to open a new one but the new one had a warped lid where the left edge did not close and had a big gap. So I decided to take the one with stuck pixel with a hope that it later could be fixed.

It turns out that I could not fix this stuck pixel. I think I won't be able to get a replacement. The only thing keeps me happy now is that the MBP does not have other flaw or physical damage. What do you think I should do?

2. PDE macrumors 68020

Over the years I've received quite a few Apple boxes (mainly laptops) with double tape from both Apple and other retailers. I used to be very concerned too, but once I've opened the boxes everything was always in order inside with no indication of anybody having opened anything. I wouldn't worry at all.

A lot of the MBPs from the past generation had that uneven lid. I actually don't think it was an uneven lid, but rather the way the display was attached at the other end, coupled with the natural upward pull of the display and the single centred latch. In any case, it's common and although it's ugly, it never caused any trouble.

3. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

Is there any possibility that someone returned this MBP before because of that single stuck pixel and Apple resell it? With the double tape as a reason?

Does anyone have a success before removing a red stuck pixel or any other stuck pixel? Can you tell me your method? It quite bothers me now.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

All the double tape boxes I received were brand new from the store (Apple Store, Amazon.com and Tekserve) -- the first layer of tape had been cut and the second just put on top. Very neatly done, nothing sloppy that made it look like a customer had opened it and returned it. I can't explain why the boxes sometimes have double tape, but I doubt the computers have been used. The ones I got from amazon came in a sealed outer box directly from the distributer and the inner box still had double tape, so I assume that it came from China that way.

As for the dead pixel -- when I had one many years ago I massaged around it and managed to get rid of it, but I don't know if that is the best way.

5. Smacky macrumors 6502

Perhaps the staff opened the box to show the computer to a customer in the store, who then proceeded to ask for another box or something
    Or maybe they put a security tag inside it

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Perhaps customs requested to inspect the contents of the box. It happens.
    Apple could have also double checked something for your benefit. Put it this way, you'd *know* if it had been used and returned. Did you get the big "welcome" presentation when you booted it up for the first time? Was your battery fully charged or empty?

7. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

But it had the seal on the sleeve, which secures the MBP and prevents a shop from selling opened MBP. Perhaps it is true that some factory in China put double tape on some boxes.

Now I focus to the stuck pixel? Is a program such as JScreenFix could fix the stuck pixel without damaging the screen? Anyone has success before?

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

There's a widget you can use thats apparently had success

9. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

I've tried that widget for one hour and didnt get it fixed. I also have tried JScreenFix for one hour without result. Do I have to try it longer to get it fixed. It makes me worried that it will damage the screen. Does running it overnight will help?

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I would gently massage around it and see if anything changes. I remember having to do it for quite some time, but eventually the pixel was fixed. Just be gentle and do it gradually to feel how much force you can apply. Google "massage a stuck pixel" and there will be lots of info.

11. Smacky macrumors 6502

How can you massage a pixel through a layer of glass?

12. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Psss... read the title of thread.

I freaked out about this too, went back to the Apple store and asked them. As long as the machine itself is sealed you're good to go. Apparently they can reopen boxes as part of QA protocol.

I have a feeling that double taped boxes are part of a random sample that are selected to ensure packing ops are doing their job correctly.

13. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

How long do I have to run the JScreenFix or any other video to fix a stuck pixel? Should I run them in full screen?
    Can I leave it running for 12 hours non-stop without damaging the screen? Does the longer time give a better chance to get it fixed?

Another thing i just noticed is the lid does not close evenly. There are gaps on the left and right side. But there in none in the center. Is this a common problem, since I can see many of MacBook Pro photos has this issue.

14. fireloss macrumors member

The reason that happens is that it was randomly selected for quality inspection and then resealed. Apple isn't that cheap to resell stuff that has been returned as new...

15. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

I just went to the apple authorize reseller. I couldn't get replacement for the stuck pixel. Then I asked about the double tape. The new box also had the same double tape as mine. So I guess this isn't much of a problem.

After a close inspection on the pixel, I think the green and blue sub-pixels are off rather than the red stuck pixel. On the white background it will show red. On the black and red background, I can't see it. I would see black on the green and blue background.

Will JScreenFix work in this case?

16. StvRndy thread starter macrumors member

17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

As you can imagine, nothing is for sure with a utility like that, but by the pixel still being active and not completely dead your chances are pretty good. It couldn't hurt.

My unibody came with double tape as well. I was a little hesitant at first, but everything was as it should be. I also tracked it from the factory so I knew it didn't stop for very long. Also, the tape used to reseal was the same thickness and rounded corners as Apple uses.