Early 2008 Macbook Pro bumps on lid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jottle, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Jottle macrumors 6502

I just purchased a new (old) 2.5ghs, 250gb macbook pro (previous generation) and noticed that at certain angles there are these weird protrusions on the top of the lid. It looks like you can see the mounts that the lcd connects into. It's as if there was too much pressure on the lid in shipping, and now these raised indendations seem to be permanent. It's not a big enough deal to risk getting the lcd/lid replaced and possibly getting a dead pixel on the new screen, but do any of you other owners see any bumps or indentations on the top of your lid? It's hard to describe, but basically there's a 3-4 square raised spots on the metal lid that look to be parallel on the top and bottom. Since there aren't stores that still have the old macbook pros on display, I can't really verify if this is common.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

sounds like just what you think it is. the mounts on the inside of the lid. i would not worry about it unless it's very noticeable.

p.s. my mid 2007 mbp does not have them.

3. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Those are totally normal. There are two raised bumps on the hinges of every MBP. Sometimes you need ot look at just the right angle & light to see them, but they are there.

The lid is very susceptible to bending. I carried my previous MBP in a tight incase shoulder bag. One time I almost dropped my laptop when the shoulder strap got hung up on a chair that I was walking by. I pancaked the bag with my hands to prevent it from falling to the ground. I didn't squeeze it very hard but it was enough to create a small concavity in the lid. Pissed me off.

4. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

I never noticed this on other lids in the apple store. But then again, I never really looked hard and at the right angles. I think it's acceptable given that you have to see it in the right light. Any chance that the bumps may diminish as I use my laptop (only 1 day old) and the top lid gets hot. Maybe the metal will smooth out a bit after constant heat cycles??? Anyone else have this on theirs as well?

5. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

The weird thing is that I have those two raised bumps by the hinges in identical places on the left and right. But at the top I have another bump on the right side which doesn't have an identical twin on the left. There are also two smaller (fainter) bumps in the middle just below the apple logo. However, looking at pictures of the top lid innards, all these bumps seem to match up with the components on the inside. The metal is definitely flexible and I can make it bend by pushing on it slightly. I just don't know whether it's worth taking it in to get fixed really. I've been burned by crappy apple repair techs before.

6. skymastr16 macrumors newbie

i just received my MBP with the exact same specs you listed in your post above and *knock on wood* i don't see anything that resembles it and i have looked at it from every angle possible. I sadly admit that what you describe would totally ruin my day/MBP joy so if it the problem is so bad that it would be noticable to someone who simply looked at your MBP without being told they were there, then I would call up 1800-my-apple and complain, at the very minimum you might be able to squeeze out a few bucks in credit back to your credit card or they may offer a replacement lcd depending upon how severe the problem is. i do feel for you though and will keep you updated if it happens to me in the future *crosses fingers that it doesn't*