Early 2008 MacBook Pro - fixed the power, but still won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kathred, Jan 6, 2015.

1. kathred macrumors newbie

I was looking for a project, so I bought an early 2008 MBP on eBay; the seller said the Genius bar told him the reason it wasn't turning on was the MagSafe board. When I tested the computer, the light on the adapter was amber, the battery never lit up, and the computer didn't power on.

I replaced the board, and the battery charged and the light on the adapter is green, but the computer still won't start. I tried resetting SMC, removing and re-inserting the RAM (in all combinations), and I even removed and replugged the PRAM battery, to no avail. I'm guessing this is the nVidia issue? I just want to make sure before I preheat the oven.

Thanks, everyone!

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

If it's a 13". It's not the nvidia issue. It might have been water damage. You never know. Did you notice anything when you took it apart?

3. kathred thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 15 inch Penryn. I didn't see any signs of liquid damage, mainly just the usual dust on the fan and by some of the ports.

Thank you!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 8600GT is likely dead.

5. EastCanMechMan macrumors newbie

EastCanMechMan

Depends on time of day & whether (not weather)
    Never put the MacBook logic in an oven.

This is a connector or rub on ussue issue shorting things out, read my stuff in this thread to figure it out.
    Check fuses in logic board, look for signs of corrosion connect and reconnect ribbons & connectors - inspect them carefully!
    Great starting place.

First step, very first step is to Disconnect battery and see if Mac starts, then the keyboard/track pad and see if it starts.
    Must have green light in charger first if anything but green with battery disconnected the Mac will start or there is short or fuse blown!
    If charger has a very faint light ( look at it in the dark after you just connect power to see the faint light - if so there is a short in a connector or it's ribbon or track pad/keyboard ir that cinnector or other component from water.