Early 2008 Macbook Pro - Screen is blank, what could be wrong with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chazmuzz, Mar 4, 2012.

1. chazmuzz macrumors newbie

Hi,

My Macbook 4,1 (A1260) has developed a fault- the internal display does not display a picture at all. Here are some more helpful symptoms.

• Everything functions as normal through an external display (ruling out the common nVidia card issue)
    • The backlight seems to be working. Adjusting the brightness of the internal display does make the blackness brighter and darker. (Does this suggest that the inverter is OK?)
    • The internal display is recognised in the arrangement tab of Display system preferences
    • I have tried zapping the PRAM with no effect
    • I did change the SuperDrive for a secondary internal hard drive. There is an outside chance that I damaged the nearby video cable connector but I doubt it as I am extremely careful, and the symptoms started a while after I made the swap
    • I put a new screen in and it didn't fix it! (The old one did have an area of dead pixels so I don't feel like I've thrown money away :))
    • I have checked to make sure that all the connections are firmly secured
    • The iSight camera works perfectly

Please help, I love this laptop :(

My next best guess is to replace the video data cable, but I can't find any suppliers based in the UK so it will be a long and expensive wait