early 2008 macbook pro superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fmw, Apr 21, 2008.

1. fmw macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm new to macs and bought a 2008 macbook pro. Love it all so far, except one potential problem. In trying to go back and upload a bunch of music onto the mac, I noticed the superdrive is spitting out and having trouble with some CD's. It doesn't happen with every CD, but more than occassionally and enough to make me think its not just one or two scratched discs. Sometimes, when I hit import on these difficult CD's, I get a clacking sound. It may have also had trouble reading a disc that came with a Belkin wireless router I just purchased and as a result had to set up the router through my wife's windows pc.

Any thoughts here? Is it just par for the course with these machines that the superdrive is very sensitive? does it look like I've got a problem here?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Is this a custom BTO computer? If it has been opened in the factory to do upgrades, etc. pressure may have been applied to the superdrive and damaged it. It is a very sensitive drive and any pressure on the top or bottom would bend the internals.

3. fmw thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Off the shelf from an apple store.