Early 2008 Macbook Pro won't boot - video included

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christianhg, Jun 23, 2011.

1. christianhg macrumors newbie

Does anybody have an idea of what is going on? It was put on standby and when I came home from work it acted like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TnIHBzlas

Could it be the harddrive failing?

I bought the computer may 2008.

Thanks in advance!

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

It looks like you need your logic board needs to be replaced. Mine did the same thing.

3. christianhg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Probably the logic board then. This is so upsetting. I have no idea how a component like that can completely fail from one day to the other.

4. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

According to the invoice, mine was due to "Graphics Processor Issue on MLB". Thanks NVIDIA for the faulty 8600m GT. Unfortunately, due to the way the GPU failed (MBP won't turn on, so they can't run the GPU failure test), it's not covered by the GPU replacement program Apple is offering for those with the faulty NVIDIA GPUs. If you're under warranty, it should be covered. If not, it should be a flat rate fee of $310 plus tax. You can even ask them to have it shipped to your house after it's repaired.

5. Coclem macrumors newbie

mine did that same thing i think its your logicboard i took mine to my local apple store and they fixed it for free

6. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

Mine did the same thing, but it was the 8600m failure. It wouldn't boot, and didn't show any of the signs until it just stopped working. It was out of warranty, but my local reseller replaced the board for free.

Worth pushing for the free replace as it is probably the 8600m - there's a huge load of them going at the moment..

Edit: Just watched video again, noticed it turned off straight away...Didn't happen with me. It probably is the logic board :-(

7. ddavid macrumors regular

I have an early 2008 MBP and had EXACTLY the same thing happen a month ago. I put it to sleep and when I got up the next day it was DOA like yours. I took it in to the Genius Bar and since there was no visible damage to my MPB, they offered to send it in for a "Flat Rate Repair" which cost $310. They will refresh your mac and repair anything that needs it, logic board, DVD, HD, Graphics, etc for one flat fee. This is a lot cheaper than paying for the logic board to be replaced.

Hope that helps!