Early 2008 Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bom, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Bom, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Bom macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it's worth it to buy Early '08 MB? I've found the ad on Kijiji for $300 and he has upgraded the ram to 4gb, I have to give him a HDD to put lion on (I have an extra one laying around). Basically I'm wondering if it will be able to do tasks like editing or rending videos/movies (that I'll be making on the computer if I buy it), and playing/streaming 1080p videos. Thanks in advance! :)

Ps: Sorry I'm a newbie on this fourm

2. simsaladimbamba

You can put Lion it yourself, but I guess the seller does not have the grey Restore DVDs anymore (which only contain Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard) or the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD.
    That MB can take up to 6 GB RAM, it will be okay for editing video (again depending on what format the footage comes in and what editing application you will use) if you use an editing codec/format and not highly compressed footage. Rendering (depending on what you want to render) is doable, not very fast though).
    1080p content can be played back via that MB, I had that model myself, but 1080p Flash content (YouTube, Vimeo) might be choking the sucker.

3. Bom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, so do you think it's worth the $300? It's only 13.3" and I assume within the next year it'll be outdated/obsolete, should I just buy a newer model?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 2008 Macbook and if I sold it, I'd try to get closer to $500 so yes it could be worth it. Also I wouldn't give the seller anything. Replacing the hard drive requires pulling the battery and removing 3 screws. As for installing Lion, make sure you make yourself a recovery USB before you allow Lion to install. I've lost count of the number of threads started by people who simply ran the Lion install and later wished they had more recovery options besides the "recovery partition".

BTW, yes it is on the verge of being obsolete because it won't run Mountain Lion. So if staying at the latest OSX is important to you, consider a newer machine. I believe the 2009 and newer Macbooks can run ML but I don't remember exactly.

5. Bom thread starter macrumors newbie