Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karkkaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Finland
Hi,

I ordered
this 2x2gb ram from ebay.

I thought it should have been the correct one with all the right info. Today the RAM arrived (at last) and I have a doubt that it isn't with correct speed.

There is a sticker which says: 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHZ CL5 240-PIN DIMM. Notice the PIN-count.

So the problem is either the speed is not 667mhz (could be 800mhz...) or the pin count is wrong. I have read that it should be 200-pin, but actually the new RAM is looking just the same as my current RAM (which works fine) and it works with the older one. Now my Macbook shows 3GB of installed RAM.

MacBook reboots only with one older + one new RAM in it, not when the both 2GB RAMs are in. What I have is only black screen right after the reboot with the two 2gb rams installed.

I read two threads from this forum:
MacBook won't boot with new RAM. and
MacBook Won't Boot while Upgrading RAM

They had a conclusion that the RAM was clocked higher than it should have.

What could be wrong in my case?

Luckily the seller accepts returns, so it might not be a big thing to return them. I could also ask if he could change them to proper ones which will work.

Thanks in advance!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The label is wrong if it says 240 pin - 240 dims are about twice the length of 200 pin sodimms.....

From what you are saying it sounds as if they are 800MHz (PC6400) sodimms and you will be able to boot if you have 3GB (one old 1GB and one new 2GB).

With both the new modules the MacBook will not boot- classic MacBook 4,1 and PC6400 ram symptom.

Send them back and get your money back - and you should only be paying around £20 or so for 2 x 2GB PC5300 ram !!!!

karkkaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Finland
Everything you say sounds rational to me.

Why on earth did they put wrong information on the label?:confused:

One question over the topic:

Where could I possibly get correct RAM for my Macbook with the suggested £20 price and also shipping to Finland?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Hi

send them back to the eBay seller and tell them that they are not PC5300 sodimms (which is 100% accurate) and ask for a refund.

The PM me and I will tell you the secret (!!) - might be £20 plus postage to Finland (£1)......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.