Early 2008 MBP backlight developes stripes, disappears after restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Am3822, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Just like the title says -- I was minding my own business, listening to a clip on YT, when all of a sudden this happens. Took a picture, did a hard restart, and the thing disappeared.

Has anyone else experienced a similar thing?

Attached Files:

2. catmonkey macrumors member

Hi,

My early 2008 MBP had this issue, and is now currently in repair for this and many other reasons. For me it started happening after it had been carried around in my bag, where the screen was put under pressure from other items such as text books also in the bag.

It then happened twice randomly as you described while using the notebook normally, it also went away when restarting - but even putting it to sleep and waking it up again cured it for me.

For the last 5 weeks it had not done it under any of these circumstances. It is an intermittent problem and the only way to solve it is to replace the entire screen according to my local Apple store geniuses.

3. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks for the information. Time to go to the local apple store, then. Joy.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

5. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I had that problem on my early 08 MBP. My screen was exchanged twice and the problem stopped. However, it was before Apple acknowledged the "problem" as "normal operation" and suggested to restart the screen by ctrl+shift+eject. You can find more on the mighty producer website.

- thistle

7. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Mine has done this a few times, closing the lid and opening it again and its fine, hasnt done it for a few months now.