Early 2008 MBP Faulty or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sammio2, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hi Guys,

I have an old style MBP, still new only about 2 months old now really. I have been having considerable problems with it. This is my first mac and basically i'd like some more experienced mac users to tell me if this is normal or not. I am a very experienced PC user, but have only been using Mac for a few months.

Basically, every other time i shut my mac down (i leave it in sleep mode most of the time) i get a Grey bar appear at the top of my monitor as shown in this picture.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Mac then hangs and won't do anything until i perform a hard reset (hold power button down). I am a student at university mid way through a course, so sending it off for repair would be crippling as I'm on a music technology course and use the laptop daily.

Other problems, include various kernel panics. When awaking from sleep, the laptop sometimes does not wake up, and also the mouse cursor appears as a corrupt image, not a cursor!

Is this something that a reinstall of leopard would fix, because having spent near £2000 on a laptop, i so far have not been impressed with Apple!

Many Thanks for anyone kind enough to help!!
    Sam

2. magallanes macrumors regular

Clearly your mbp have trouble but i don't think so they are related with the 8600m gt problem (or may be it is related with 8600m gt, who knowns?), and i don't think to reinstalling the os will fix this trouble, yet you still can ask for a refund/fix/whatever using your first 1 year warranty (is it new or refurbished?).

Apple zealots will not be happy reading this claim, so be careful with your comments (at least in this forum). :D

3. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Thanks for your reply. It is a new notebook, and i purchased the 3 year apple care warranty. So do you reckon it needs sending back then?

Oh and what i said was no dig at Apple btw, i think they are a great company, iPods etc all work as planned, maybe i just got a bad one!?

Cheers
    Sam