Early 2008 MBP few questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tzimed, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tzimed macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I'm currently using an early 2008 pre unibody Penryn Macbook Pro (2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram). I was contemplating upgrading to a newer machine as this one is starting to show it's age. Al thou since my income is not the highest right now I'm thinking about going the way of upgrading components in my current machine.
    I definitely need a new battery for it, as the current one has over 900 cycles and holds only about an hour of charge. Does anybody know where is the cheapest place to find a new battery? Apple still charges well over $100 for it and I am afraid to buy an non OEM from eBay.
    Another question is related to SSD and Optibay solution. I read some wonderful things about this new technology. And I was considering installing one into my machine and moving my 500 GB Seagate Momentus into the Optibay Superdrive slot. I have a concern thou. Will my hard drive be still protected from shock in case I move the machine rapidly by accident or drop it?
    This is the drive I have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    It's listed that it has a build in G-Force antishock data protection. Will it still work fine while with Optibay? Will it be still secure as in a standard hard drive bay?
    Next question is regarding SSD choice. I don't need anything super fast because my computer is capped by it's SATA 1.5 Gbit/s interface. It doesn't have to be a huge neither as I'll keep my data on the 500GB Seagate and use the SSD as a boot drive, maybe I'll throw in there my most used files for faster accessing. I'm looking not to spend the most. Which of the solid state drives do you think is most suitable for my machine? Any cheaper alternatives to Optibay?
    If you think going this way is not a smart choice, since the machine is already 3 years old (and the known 8600M ticking bomb) and perhaps I should move on to a newer model and selling this one on eBay. I'm looking at a refurbished Macbook Air Ultimate. My main use of the computer except usual web browsing, article reading, word processing is photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop CS5. I'm a "serious amateur" shooting 12mpx RAW files and editing them in LR on a 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2410.
    How will the performance of MBA Ultimate be compared to my current machine? If I get MBA I will most likely have my photo library connected through USB on an external hard drive.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

check amazon or ebay for oem batteries. Thats what i did. My early 2008 macbook has 927 cycles can still hold like 3 hours+ charge, i dunno if that is just me though. If you still have applecare I would also try to take it in and see what they say about it. It's a long shot but you might get lucky

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can't use an optibay in this generation MBP, the optical drive isn't connected through SATA.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

4. Tzimed thread starter macrumors newbie