Early 2008 MBP for under $1000

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pyromaniaque, Mar 30, 2009.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

I want to buy my mom an early 2008 Macbook Pro for under a thousand. She's always been there for me, and for the last few months, I essentially poured some of my savings to help my folks pay some of the bills after they were laid off, they've got their jobs back, but I'd really like to gift one to my mom for her birthday.

I don't care if it doesn't come with RAM, HDD, or has a cracked screen, if I can get if for sub $1000, I'm happy.

You can contact me via PM at any time or at jjeangi@gmail.com

Thanks.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Craigslist or ebay. If ebay, make sure you buy from a trusted seller and pay with a credit card (paypal fraud protection caps out at $200.00).

Kind of a tall order, really. Macs traditionally hold their value well. Considering the MBP's original list price was $2-2.5K, you'll be lucky to get a year old base model at $1400-1500.

Good luck.

3. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean, they sell it refurbished for $1349, why the hell not? Refurbs run higher than used products.

Craiglist isn't great in my area.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can find someone selling their machine for that price, you can use that to negotiate them downwards.

People have a slightly inflated value of what their old machine is worth. I literally see people try to leave their software on the machine (greyware) and then sell their MBP they bought a year ago for say, $1700 or $1800.

5. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't believe that. You can get a unibody for 1800

Macmall or some other company is selling the old pros for like 1500ish.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Refurbished for 1349. Add tax and its almost 1500.

I think you may be able to get one for 1200 if you wait. Closer to 1300-1400 is my estimate and that would have to have applecare.

However I got mine for 1050 shipped one week after the release of the new MBPs.

Use ebay and microsofts live.com service. 14% cash back now, then it was 20 or 25%, doesnt matter as the max is $200. Plus I had $100 in a paypal coupon if I spent over 1000. I was ecstatic.

Deals can be found, just have to look a little bit.

7. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, it's a bit unrealistic; and you can only ask for purchasing advice and not ask if we can sell you computer.

9. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

why does she need a pro if you don't mind me asking? You may have a much easier time finding a nice top-end macbook at that pricepoint. Just got my mom the latest White Macbook. Under 1k. For her needs, it's perfect!

10. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

ebay.
    I got my early 08. mbp like new for 1300 shipped (with live.com $200 off) that was in october and the machine was new in september

11. Courtney Love macrumors newbie

You need to go to ebay for the best deal. Right now, Microsoft's Live.com is doing cash back of 14% on ebay, up to 200 dollars.

So you can buy her a $1200 laptop and get $200 back through live.com. Completely safe, it's been going on for months. Go on slickdeals.net or FatWallet to read about live.com's paypal cash back, to make sure you do it right, but that's the best way to get a deal right now, especially since you're dealing with used laptops. pm me if you need any help, but slickdeals and FatWallet have it all spelled out for you. If I were buying anything mac related now, that's where I'd purchase. I mean there are people selling the newest MBP for 1750, then with the 200 off from Live.com, incredible deals can be had.