Early 2008 MBP HD upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Oct 31, 2010.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

My early 2008 MBP has a 200gb drive that's just about maxed out. I've toyed with the idea of upgrading to a Unibody, but I don't think I can justify spending $2000 right now (not when we're on the verge of new standards becoming main-stream, like USB3 and BluRay).

So perhaps upgrading the HD is the answer to my solution.

How difficult is it to do?

What Hard Drive would you recommend?

Would it void the remainder of my warranty (3 months left...)?? If so, would apple even touch it if I needed repair???

2. seydurin macrumors member

it's very easy. unscrew a few screws, take out old harddrive, stick in new one, screw screws back in and you're done.

500gb harddrives are really cheap these days. Any one of them will do basically. Check out harddrives on newegg.com.

and btw I can guarantee you that USB 3 and BlueRay aren't going to be on any apple computers for at least a year or two. Steve Jobs has made a point to distance Apple from those two. Basically he believes downloadable content is where its at, so they're not going to go out of their way to implement those two technologies.

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I have a 320GB Hitachi 7.2k rpm model in mine.

For performance between similar drives WD is the best followed by Hitachi and then Seagate closely behind. There's not much between the Hitachi and Seagate for performance but my Hitachi is surprisingly quiet and cool, much better than the stock drive. I'd recommend that for whatever capacity you end up with, you get a 7.2k rpm drive to see a decent performance boost.

Have you considered the Seagate Momentus XT? A lot of people around here seem pleased with theirs.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

It's very simple to do. Check out macsales.com for hard drive options - I recently bought a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate drive. They've also got TONS of "do-it-yourself" tutorial videos. That website is a GREAT source!

No, it will not void your warranty.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Go to ifixit.com for a tutorial. You just need a phillips screwdriver and a hex head one for the drive (or pliers). Its pretty straight forward. Worst part was popping the top off after all the screws were out, the front can be a little tricky.

My only recommendation is you have to push hard to reseat the front of the case and to go easy on the area above the dvd drive, as pressure can bow the slot for loading DVDs.

6. BigCanoe macrumors 6502