Early 2008 MBP Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgsnat75, May 22, 2016.

1. mgsnat75 macrumors member

Hi everyone. i have a early 2008 17in MBP. The machine is in very good shape and is working well but the keyboard now has an issue. Some the keys don't work and i am not sure why. its random keys at that so its not a strip of keys that went bad. In particular, the delete, caps lock, tab, space, fn, right option key, left arrow, down arrow, ' key. all other keys work just fine. I troubleshoot buy booting into recovery and it doesn't work there either. Anyone have a clue as to how to fix this without having to disassemble? How much would it cost for repair at the apple store? I also reset the pram with no fix. Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Individual keys can be replaced if I remember rightly, or the whole keyboard. Ifixit has keyboards and a guide to replacement here

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...1212+A1229+and+A1261+Keyboard+Replacement/317

You will have to disassemble it to replace the whole keyboard which seems like your best option. From you description this is a worn out keyboard nothing you do software wise will help its broken.

Apple no longer supports that machine they will not work on it and don't keep parts for any laptop more than 6 years old.