Early 2008 MBP Logic Board Problem: Repair for $300 or ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ammusk, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ammusk macrumors regular

My Early 2008 MacBook Pro 15" has a logic board problem. I took it to the Apple Store today and they said they would have to repair it but it would cost me $300 as the one year warranty coverage was over.

$300 seemed like a lot to me because I could get a new Macbook for $999 + Student Discount. However it wouldn't be the same configuration obviously.

My question is whether I should spend the extra cash and fix the old computer or should I get a new one instead?

And if you suggest I get a new MacBook should I go for the Macbook Pros? I
    was doubtful about them because they are due to be upgraded

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

300 is less than 999. Your MBP most likely has higher specs than getting a new 13"mbp or macbook- plus all of the firewire ports and dvi and all the other ports

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would repair the computer, it is still a very decent computer today. $300 is a lot cheaper than a brand new one and you wouldn't see much speed improvement even with the new one.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

$300 seems like a pretty good deal.

I'd pay it and buy a computer a year from now or something when it might offer more options/performance.

I'd hold onto your Early 2008 Machine. It's still very fast, but with the classic PowerBook/MacBook Pro design, which I preferred. Hold onto it for the memories.

5. ammusk thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you

I will turn it in for service at the Apple Store tomorrow