Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Disclaimer:
BRAND NEW MAC USER...KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MAC!! LEARNING THROUGH FIRE-HOSE TECHNIQUE.

I just purchased a early model 2008 MBP and ordered 250gb SSD. I have 10.6 dmg from original owner.

I want to do a fresh install. I have no idea what he had or did on previous HDD so I do not want to copy/clone original HDD.

I know 10.6 is a solid build from readying the threads here so I prefer to start there and will update to later version once I get the hang of what the heck I am even doing. SOOOOO LOST right now but LOVE it already. I WILL master MBP by the weekend. I'm a long time PC user with two Computer Science(BS and MS) degrees so I REFUSE to be beat..LOL

Can someone just point me in the right direction. If you know the easy way, then I would love to hear it but if you know where I can find it, I appreciate that also.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Use External Enclosure

So I just had a thought come to me.

Can I take the new SSD and put it into my external sata enclosure that I just sitting around and use that basically as the USB?

That way I would have officially installed the OS on the SSD? Then I can just remove it from the enclosure and put it into the MacBook.

Can this be done?

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013

Can I take the new SSD and put it into my external sata enclosure that I just sitting around and use that basically as the USB?

That way I would have officially installed the OS on the SSD? Then I can just remove it from the enclosure and put it into the MacBook.

Can this be done?

I think you could do that, but I'm not sure what the point would be. Is that easier than just putting the SSD into the computer, booting from the USB (hold down option key), and installing the OS? Seems like it would be more troublesome to do it the way you suggest.

You'll have to convert the .dmg file to a bootable image either way.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

Can this be done?

Yes, when your installing just pick the SSD as the drive you want to install 10.6 on to.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I think you could do that, but I'm not sure what the point would be. Is that easier than just putting the SSD into the computer, booting from the USB (hold down option key), and installing the OS? Seems like it would be more troublesome to do it the way you suggest.

You'll have to convert the .dmg file to a bootable image either way.

Ok I am thinking why need a USB if I can basically make the SSd the USB? Does that make sense. I guess I could be off.

I have the dmg on the desktop of the laptop right now. I was thinking I could just install it onto the SSD using the external then just swap out.

----------

Saw this on Apple Discussions. #2 is basically what I was thinking.

Kappy wrote:

1. The 830 models are. I'm not sure the 840 is. OWC has a couple of excellent models. I've used several of their SSDs. The OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs are also compatible. Note that none of the third-party SSDs have TRIM support.

2. Put the SSD into an external enclosure. Boot the computer from the Recovery HD from which you can prep the SSD with Disk Utility (partition and format,) then install Lion. Test that this boots your computer from the external before transplanting the SSD into the computer.

OWC sells a product called the DataDoubler that enables you to replace the optical drive with either the old HDD or the new SSD giving you both drives.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Ok I am thinking why need a USB if I can basically make the SSd the USB? Does that make sense. I guess I could be off.

I have the dmg on the desktop of the laptop right now. I was thinking I could just install it onto the SSD using the external then just swap out.

----------

Saw this on Apple Discussions. #2 is basically what I was thinking.

Kappy wrote:

1. The 830 models are. I'm not sure the 840 is. OWC has a couple of excellent models. I've used several of their SSDs. The OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs are also compatible. Note that none of the third-party SSDs have TRIM support.

2. Put the SSD into an external enclosure. Boot the computer from the Recovery HD from which you can prep the SSD with Disk Utility (partition and format,) then install Lion. Test that this boots your computer from the external before transplanting the SSD into the computer.

OWC sells a product called the DataDoubler that enables you to replace the optical drive with either the old HDD or the new SSD giving you both drives.

Did you not see my post? If you want to do it that way you can, I've done it many times.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Did you not see my post? If you want to do it that way you can, I've done it many times.

Yep I see it now. I totally glazed over it the first time.

Nice. Thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate it.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Mac wont see the drive in Disk Utility

I am trying to format it using the disk utility. It was formatted for Windows. Plugged into my pc and it comes up fine.

any help

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Mac wont see the drive in Disk Utility

I am trying to format it using the disk utility. It was formatted for Windows. Plugged into my pc and it comes up fine.

any help

Does the drive make model not appear at all in the left hand pane of disk utility? If so you need to click on it and then select the erase tab and erase it, reformatting it as hfs+ journaled. Then you can setup 10.6.

If your mac can support it I strongly recommend OSX lion as it has trim support for SSD disks whereas snow leopard doesn't. Use Trim enabler to enable it after you've setup 10.7

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Does the drive make model not appear at all in the left hand pane of disk utility? If so you need to click on it and then select the erase tab and erase it, reformatting it as hfs+ journaled. Then you can setup 10.6.

If your mac can support it I strongly recommend OSX lion as it has trim support for SSD disks whereas snow leopard doesn't. Use Trim enabler to enable it after you've setup 10.7

Nope not showing at all. Matter a fact it is not recognizing any of my usbs. It does turn the Sata enclosure on so I know they are powered up.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Nope not showing at all. Matter a fact it is not recognizing any of my usbs. It does turn the Sata enclosure on so I know they are powered up.

Only certain types of usb device will show up, especially on older Mac OS versions. Lion 10.7.4 may possibly more likely detect it better than 10.6 will and even more so with later versions with more usb support such as 10.8.3. In your case with no other media I would install the SSD in the dedicated drive bay and in place upgrade to lion.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Only certain types of usb device will show up, especially on older Mac OS versions. Lion 10.7.4 may possibly more likely detect it better than 10.6 will and even more so with later versions with more usb support such as 10.8.3. In your case with no other media I would install the SSD in the dedicated drive bay and in place upgrade to lion.

Got it to work.

Thanks a lot people. I am going to update to 10.7 from your recommendation. I have both 10.6 and 10.7 but wanted to get acclimated to one. I will just start with 10.7.

Thanks

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I'm impressed with the amount that you accomplished in the few hours since you originally posted. I don't think you'll be disappointed with 10.7 at all. It has a few modern UI changes, more support (like for USB and such), and 10.7.5 is solid. 10.6.8 is like the Windows XP of the Mac world. It works great, but it's starting to get dated.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I'm impressed with the amount that you accomplished in the few hours since you originally posted. I don't think you'll be disappointed with 10.7 at all. It has a few modern UI changes, more support (like for USB and such), and 10.7.5 is solid. 10.6.8 is like the Windows XP of the Mac world. It works great, but it's starting to get dated.

Hey thanks. I am trying. I am a guy who gets engulfed in this type stuff and dont stop until I got it like I want it.

So far I am really enjoying the experience.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Got it to work.

Thanks a lot people. I am going to update to 10.7 from your recommendation. I have both 10.6 and 10.7 but wanted to get acclimated to one. I will just start with 10.7.

Thanks

Snow Leopard is great, rock solid and very stable at 10.6.8. I know of quite a few users using Final Cut Pro 7 who refuse to upgrade their systems. But for proper SSD support you have to go to at least Lion. You will have to check trim enabler's status after the 10.7.5 combo update as after as it disables trim by default for non Apple SSD's.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Snow Leopard is great, rock solid and very stable at 10.6.8. I know of quite a few users using Final Cut Pro 7 who refuse to upgrade their systems. But for proper SSD support you have to go to at least Lion. You will have to check trim enabler's status after the 10.7.5 combo update as after as it disables trim by default for non Apple SSD's.

Got ya. I got everything I need but could not get the harddrive out because I need the T6 torx wrench. I'm grabbing that today and then I should be all good.

I will do some research on the trim stuff you mentioned as I don't know what that is. I will figure it out though for sure.

Thanks everyone for not ripping me a new one for asking all these questions.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Got ya. I got everything I need but could not get the harddrive out because I need the T6 torx wrench. I'm grabbing that today and then I should be all good.

I will do some research on the trim stuff you mentioned as I don't know what that is. I will figure it out though for sure.

Thanks everyone for not ripping me a new one for asking all these questions.

The more you do Apple the more tools you will need - trust me! If you have any spudgers and lifters such as you might use for the iPhones etc they will also help getting the top lid off without bending it too much as an early 2008 is pre unibody I think. Put the screws in order to the side too so they go back in the right holes.

You've asked politely and honestly so I can't take the mick - not my kind of behaviour anyway. Good luck!

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
The more you do Apple the more tools you will need - trust me! If you have any spudgers and lifters such as you might use for the iPhones etc they will also help getting the top lid off without bending it too much as an early 2008 is pre unibody I think. Put the screws in order to the side too so they go back in the right holes.

You've asked politely and honestly so I can't take the mick - not my kind of behaviour anyway. Good luck!

Funny you mention screws as now that I have taken a better look overall, the mac seems to be missing about 3 or 4 screws.

These 2

and This 1

I am guessing the 2 inside are the same as the 3 (2mm) ones that hold down the ram cover. So I may have to take 2 from the 3 and leave one in the RAM cover plate. The 2 at the front are more important to me as the ram is also covered by the battery. Is there somewhere you can buy screws? I would like to replace all the missing ones.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Funny you mention screws as now that I have taken a better look overall, the mac seems to be missing about 3 or 4 screws.

These 2

[url=http://imageshack.us/a/img823/8069/tnxb.jpg]Image[/URL]

and This 1

[url=http://imageshack.us/a/img20/6639/7wsh.jpg]Image[/URL]

I am guessing the 2 inside are the same as the 3 (2mm) ones that hold down the ram cover. So I may have to take 2 from the 3 and leave one in the RAM cover plate. The 2 at the front are more important to me as the ram is also covered by the battery. Is there somewhere you can buy screws? I would like to replace all the missing ones.

The two on the inside are tiny, have spiked ends so you can angle the screwdriver in to get them threaded in properly but they are notorious for rounding off inside with ham fisted techs or amateurs who have taken them out before.

I no doubt will have some screws that will fit somewhere cos I have a graveyard collection of busted Mac laptops! I'm sure you can buy brand new screw sets for Macs on ebay or Amazon or even ifixit may even sell them though probably dearer than the other two places..

If you are going to strip it down clean out the fans and crap out of the case and if you feel brave enough replace the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU by cleaning using the Artic Silver 2 part cleaning kit and reapply Artic Silver 5 paste. The GPU's have a habit of going bang on that particular model and need to be cooled as efficiently as possible.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
The two on the inside are tiny, have spiked ends so you can angle the screwdriver in to get them threaded in properly but they are notorious for rounding off inside with ham fisted techs or amateurs who have taken them out before.

I no doubt will have some screws that will fit somewhere cos I have a graveyard collection of busted Mac laptops! I'm sure you can buy brand new screw sets for Macs on ebay or Amazon or even ifixit may even sell them though probably dearer than the other two places..

If you are going to strip it down clean out the fans and crap out of the case and if you feel brave enough replace the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU by cleaning using the Artic Silver 2 part cleaning kit and reapply Artic Silver 5 paste. The GPU's have a habit of going bang on that particular model and need to be cooled as efficiently as possible.

Already on it. I am currently just waiting for my Arctic MX-4 paste to arrive in the mail. I have already used Canned air to spray fans as well as 90% alcohol to clean them. Will be removing logic board here soon to install new paste as I have read about the GPU issues with this model due to heat.

I am determined to make this thing like new. I mean I got it for $100 with no real issues. Main thing was the batteries not charging. Got them to work. Left side usb is a little random. It charges and powers on a usb stick/external hdd but wont read it. So I am researching it right now.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Already on it. I am currently just waiting for my Arctic MX-4 paste to arrive in the mail. I have already used Canned air to spray fans as well as 90% alcohol to clean them. Will be removing logic board here soon to install new paste as I have read about the GPU issues with this model due to heat.

I am determined to make this thing like new. I mean I got it for $100 with no real issues. Main thing was the batteries not charging. Got them to work. Left side usb is a little random. It charges and powers on a usb stick/external hdd but wont read it. So I am researching it right now.

Lol - fast learner indeed. No different to PC laptops, just a bit more fiddly and with pre unibody like yours you have to really be careful with what screw goes where.

USB problems can be down to soft drink damage, examine the boards carefully and wash anything suspicious you find gently with the alcohol and a cotton bud. By being very thorough with a magnifier light I've got logic boards totally working that were covered in sticky yuck cola gunk!

The heatsink refitting with new thermal paste do to the letter on apples hardware manual, the screws need to be done up alternately in order to ensure a tight fit.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Lol - fast learner indeed. No different to PC laptops, just a bit more fiddly and with pre unibody like yours you have to really be careful with what screw goes where.

USB problems can be down to soft drink damage, examine the boards carefully and wash anything suspicious you find gently with the alcohol and a cotton bud. By being very thorough with a magnifier light I've got logic boards totally working that were covered in sticky yuck cola gunk!

The heatsink refitting with new thermal paste do to the letter on apples hardware manual, the screws need to be done up alternately in order to ensure a tight fit.

Hey appreciate it. I have built a few gaming PCs in my day so I have no issue with the getting down and dirty approach. I am actually quite impressed with the ease of opening and being able to quickly access components. My HP laptop was a major PITA to open.

From the quick glance last night, it looked to be pretty clean overall. I will definitely be cleaning it thoroughly. I need to pop off the arrow keys and clean them as they seem a little sticky.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Can this be done?

Yes. OS X can run off an external just fine, so you could run the installer from one USB port and point the install onto another without an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.