Early 2008 MBP not starting (different from other thread with same subject)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ubele, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro, Santa Rosa model. A few years ago, I upgraded the hard drive to a 7,200 RPM Scorpio drive. For a long time, whenever the computer got too hot, the drive would make a clicking sound and then a beep. My research at the time indicated that some drives did this when they needed to recalibrate due to temperature change.

This morning, when I woke my computer from sleep, the contents on the external monitor were frozen (my MPB was closed, in "clam-shell mode"). I powered the computer down. Now when I try to power up, I hear the sound of the hard drive starting to spin up, accompanied by the power/sleep light coming on -- but only for about half a second, and then everything shuts down again. If I continue holding the power button down, the power/sleep light blinks rapidly a few times, but nothing else happens. The MBP's screen never comes on. I disconnected all external devices from the MBP (except for the power cord), with the same results.

My initial thought was that the hard drive had crashed (yes, I have a Time Machine backup), but shouldn't the screen still come on with the "sad Mac" icon, allowing me to boot from a start-up DVD or external drive?

If it's relevant, the battery hasn't been holding a charge very well, which probably is my fault, since I usually run the computer on AC power, and I hear you're supposed to discharge the battery every month or so. Could it be a power-supply issue?

I can take my computer to the Genius Bar, but I'm reluctant to put too much repair money into it because of its age, and it's been a bit sluggish with Aperture, Logic, and big files in any application. I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone has any ideas.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your logicboard has probably failed due to the nVidia 8600GT. Contact Apple.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes. This is most likely the problem. Mine had the same symptoms. Contact Apple.

Battery or HD problems don't prevent a MBP from booting.

4. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Please report back. It needs to fail a specific hardware test, and if it does, presto, you have a new logicboard installed free of charge.