Early 2008 MBP Obsolete??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP last Spring when my powerbook (Great laptop!!!) was destroyed in a rain storm. I bought this puppy right after they came out...

Now I was just reading that the Base-model Macbooks got a boost. They new sport a 1066mhz FSB. My system Profiler says I have an 800mhz setup???

The new MBPs also have teh 1066 FSB, along with dual-graphics, DDR3 (vs DDR2), etc etc...

Now I know technology changes all the time. But does this mean my <1 year old machine isn't going to play nice with snow leopard??? Macrumors makes it seem as if the new $999 laptop from Apple will scream past my 9 month old $2500 laptop?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro too. And like the above poster said, it will not affect us. Don't worry. The only people who should be worried are possibly the PowerPC people. We still don't know if it supports PowerPC along with Intel.

4. tecknical macrumors regular

actually i think that our machines might play the nicest with snow leopard because i heard that theyre going to be supported first what with the 64 bit kernels

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres talk with it dropping 32 bit procs so even the first intel macs

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Isn't there some speculation that some of us intel CD users are on the chopping block as well? :confused:

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There is, but that is extremely unlikely.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Which is ridiculous. I know they did this once before with OS X, but I wonder how much Apple's fan base can take before they've had enough, if that's true.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No, its not obsolete. The powerbook g4's are pretty much obsolete.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah i bet having a PB with i PPC is getting annoying. My friend has one and is getting annoyed, he bought spore-cant use it, he wanted to use my parallels program-cant use it, just seem like he misses out on all the cool stuff lol

11. Ploki macrumors 68000

yeah, games and windows . too friggin bad. :S

i guess they can make a backwards compatible 64bit system?
    but then again... :D

12. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

everything is obsolete. the newest 17" unibody is obsolete. there's other laptops with quad core chips. laptops with blu ray makes the unibody obsolete.

everything is obsolete.

but heck, people are still using clamshell g3s

there's no point in talking about obsolesce, it is like talking about the "present."

the "present" has already become the past.

You have to have a finite OBJECTIVE definition of obsolete. otherwise, there's no point to this thread.

13. cathyy macrumors 6502a

With regards to computing power, there's pretty much no difference between the Early 2008 MBP and the Unibody MBP. The Unibody is probably around 5 - 10% faster on average. Nothing big.

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Those other laptops with quad core chips arnt as good as the new 17" unibody. People need to research Quad Core before banding it around forums and saying its gods gift to humans.

Blu-Ray Super drives would however be nice, but again fairly useless with increaing internet bandwiths.

15. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

well, quad core will be more relevant with snow leopard, but this will also depend on "developers, developers, developers" (reference to Steve Balmer)

blu-ray won't be useless. what about 1080p video. If you want to watch a movie NOW, how long would it take to download it. what if other people in the household want to surf the web. what about dvd extras.

how about hdmi?
    tv tuners?

in these ways other laptops make any and all apple products obsolete.
    are we talking newest technologies?

which is why i say

You have to have a finite OBJECTIVE definition of obsolete. otherwise, there's no point to this thread.