Early 2008 MBP refurb, or late 2008 MB new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spork183, Dec 6, 2008.

1. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

My nephew (12) is looking for a computer he can take to school (he uses speech software for a learning issue). He is looking at the new MB (aluminum), or the early 2008 mbp 15 with the 256-8600 video. Other than school, he also wants to play games-nothing extreme at this point. At home, he will probably plug in to an external LCD. So, the following questions:

1-anyone have experience with the difference in size and bulk between the 13 and 15 (also difference between 4.5 and 5.4 pounds)?

2-Is the new touchpad significantly better than the multi touch on the mbp?

3-How does the new onboard video on the mb compare to the dedicated 256mb 8600m gt in the MBP, not only for viewing, but output to external?

We've already considered the difference in ports (firewire 400/800 vs only usb2, etc.), but any further ideas about that are welcome.

We're leaning toward the early 2008 MBP refurb, and no, he doesn't do windows (though if I get him a good price, he might sweep my patio...) :)

Thanks!

2. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My tuppence worth; both are excellent computers, but the refurb MBP offers excellent value, Apple's warranty, that superb screen (which seems to be of particular importance in your case), and - even now - considerably more power and performance than the MB.

Cheers and good luck

4. descartes macrumors 6502

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I'd go MBP anyday of hte week, especially before the latest one. I've had an early 2007 MBP and late 2007 MB (using now) and much prefer the MBP. The only downside is the difficulty to replace the hard drive, but otherwise everything is better, especially the screen. I just bought a netbook and hope to sell my MB in a few months and get an 17 MBP HD.

Both systems are about the same weight really. Just enough that you feel it to make it a bit annoying to lug around everyday. Also know that with the MB you're still doing beta testing for Apple, must like any new consumer device.

6. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

uh, no, I'm helping with selection. His parents foot the bill... :D Thanks for the responses all!

7. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I would get the pro because it has lots of power, big screen and it looks freakin sweet! Getting an mb though from my dad, can't complain!