Early 2008 MBP - weird sounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miggitymac, Jan 20, 2009.

1. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I have an early 2008 MBP, 15", 2.4 GHz, etc...it's on its 2nd month out of the box...

Anyways, I was on youtube last night in bed and notice that there's a vibrating/rubbing sound coming from it. Usually all I hear is the gentle "whir" of fans spinning, so this new sound was pretty noticeable.

I put my ear closer to the keyboard and found that the sound is coming from the right side, between the "enter" button of the keyboard and the screen.

I'm thinking it's either the HD or the fans on that side rubbing/hacking away on its setting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will it go away on its own or should I be making an appointment with a Genius?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Does this happen every time you go on Youtube for a long time, or every time you watch Flash videos for extended periods of time?

3. miggitymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

No. Last night was the first time that I heard it. It was still going on even after I shut down my browser and had nothing running.

I usually make it sleep overnight, rather than doing a shut down...but I could hear the noise right up until it went to sleep.

Btw - it's really hard to get a good night's sleep when the last thing you hear is your new MBP is grinding away on itself...

4. miggitymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I just did a forum search and found some similar posts about vibrating sounds...probably something I should have done before starting a new thread. :eek:

I'll try doing what other people have suggested in those threads and see if any of that will work for me.

If not, I guess I'll have to see a Genius...really don't want them to crack open my 2 month new laptop but I guess there's not much of an alternative.

5. tecknical macrumors regular

its most likely the fan. my right fan crapped out on me after only 3 months, so its nothing unusual