Early 2008 MBP with SMC issue? Need ideas/suggestions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seanmuth, Oct 28, 2012.

1. seanmuth macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have an Early 2008 (Penryn)MBP 15", 2.4Ghz.

A month or so ago, I pulled the mbp off the magsafe and it shut off immediately. wouldn't power back on, reset SMC, tried different batteries, different magsafes, no luck.

Swapped the small power board with one from my donor MBP, still no luck.

Was searching around here and read about the SMC bypass method (hold power, connect magsafe, then hit power again) and it worked, it boots up with full speed fans, no temp info in istat, etc.

Where do i go from here? my RAM isn't the issue, SMC bypass works with a single OEM samsung 1Gb, and with my 4gb Patriot stick.

Where is the SMC chip itself? It might have some oxidation that needs cleaning?

Any and all replied definitely appreciated!!

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

3. seanmuth thread starter macrumors newbie

not likely, this mbp already had that issue, logic board was replaced for free by apple. I'm also not having any gfx issues like i did with the nvidia chip failure

4. seanmuth thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I *mostly* restored SMC functionality. After a couple more SMC resets, and switching to my old Apple brand battery, I'm able to see battery stats and system temps in iStat. Power button seems to have full functionality.Turns system on from full shutdown, wakes from sleep, etc.

However, the Left Fan seems to be "stuck" running at 100% (6828rpm).

Any thoughts? Can I manually reinstall the SMC firmware update?

5. fega72 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    One of the temp sensors is faulty or not connected properly- I think.