Early 2008 MP SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rontheancient, Jan 25, 2008.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

2. newtech macrumors 6502

The Mac Pro continues to ship with a PATA superdrive, Usually Optiarc or Sony. Pioneer DVR-115 should work fine as well. the new MP continues to also have two ODD SATA connectors in addition to the ATA133 PATA connector.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hi,
    Sorry for cutting in on this thread but, will any PC DVDRW work in a 2008 Mac Pro? I have a spare Lite-on DVDRW from my PC (I've just upgraded to 2 SATA Sony Optiarc DVDRW's) and I'm wondering if this will work in the Mac Pro.

Pity the SATA ones won't work.

Thanks

5. newtech macrumors 6502

SATA do work in the older MP's newer MP **MAY** have a firmware issue.

the DVD framework should support nearly any drive you throw its way.

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they were 'special' Apple drives, but I guess not. I just don't want to pay £60 for a DVDRW that costs about £20 from a 3rd party if it'll work.

When I get my Mac Pro, I'll try both my spare IDE and a SATA drive in the Mac Pro and hopefully all will be good.

One last thing...If I buy a Mac Pro with a single Superdrive, will it still come with the 2nd space on the front for a 2nd superdrive?

7. newtech macrumors 6502

Yes, the internal cage is built for two drives even if only one is installed. When adding a drive you will need to remove the escutcheon/lip from the front of the drive's tray.