Early 2008 vs. Mid 2009 MBP -- Build quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daver.cl, Jun 10, 2009.

1. daver.cl macrumors member

Hi Macrumors,

I own an early-2008 2.4ghz Macbook Pro. I have had it sent in for countless repairs -- mailed in for service twice in the last month. From half of the backlight failing, to the whole backlight failing, to the wireless, bluetooth, the logic board, hard drive, and the optical drive, I feel like I must be cursed. I've sent it in for the optical drive twice now, even though Apple seems to think I've only sent it once. Weird.

I took up the daunting task of re-importing all of my CDs as 256kbps VBR AACs versus the 192kbps mp3's I had before, and several of my CDs just get spit out. I called AppleCare and they want me to send it in again. The first rep I spoke to mentioned a replacement machine, but the upper-level rep told me it had to be sent in one more time for them to consider a replacement. This laptop is my life :) I work two jobs on it and I am, frankly, getting very sick of sending it in for 4-6 days at a time. It's setting me back!

I'm not expecting a new machine, but I am curious if the build quality has improved from the original Macbook Pro design in the new Unibodies. Also, should I email this rep (he gave me his info) and request the replacement since it's been sent in for so many things? It makes me cringe to think that I'll send it in for half a week only to get it back and find that I need to send it back while they ship me a new unit.

thanks so much!
    dave

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

In terms of body quality, that is an obvious yes. Unfortunately however, when it comes to internal components like those the failure rate is about the same of that with your model, so all you can hope for is better luck and non-failing parts. I would have a chat with AppleCare about your dissatisfaction, they are usually very friendly and might be able to tell you something I don't know about.

3. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I believe the policy is that it has to be sent in 3 times for the same problem before the lemon law goes into effect. However, I think this warrants an email to Apple. There are numerous stories on Macrumors where a polite, well composed email with dates and problems has lead to replacement with the latest and greatest.

4. daver.cl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both of you for your speedy replies :)

I'm not concerned too much about the latest and greatest. In fact, I had actually planned to wait for Nehalem before I upgraded. When I asked the upper-level rep about skipping the "white glove repair" (as he called it), he was pretty specific that Apple does not support or guarantee replacement hardware -- It's more of a gesture of good faith than a typical solution -- Which I totally understand and agree with. He basically told me outright that he couldn't simply issue a replacement without first sending it in one more time.

The only real problem I have here is that it's my primary (and only) machine for running my business and working my other job. If all of these repairs aren't fixing my laptop, I am nervous that losing my lappy for 5 days will be in vain, only to send it in and wait another business week for a replacement.

Has anyone else had any experience like this? If I email them and really push that I'm sick and tired of sending it in, and I need it for my job, will they forgo the repair? Thanks again!

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Like said before, I think the solution to this whole mess is a well worded and polite email to a high-up AppleCare worker. They will most likely replace your computer, and be very apologetic.

6. daver.cl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the reply :)

I sent an email early this morning and haven't heard back yet. Hopefully he gets to my email tomorrow!