Early 2008 vs Today.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindowsTraitor, Sep 13, 2009.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

Almost 2 years have passed, and no major changes in terms of CPU speed etc.

I have an early 2008 MBP 15 inches 2.6ghz with a 200Gb HD. 4gb ram, and 512mb the 8600 viedo card.

I am quite happy with the machine, but the HD is becoming an issue. (too small) I have a my book 1t external firewire 800 so it helps, but I would like to have more space. I am running bootcamp with 60gb qindows an the rest mac os.

I am tempted to get an new one and sell mine. do you think is worth it?

I like the addition of the sd card slot, and i do not have any firewire 400.

I do not like the internal battery. I like the user upgradable hd and 8gb ram capacity.

I like my non shiny screen, but I would like a bigger screen.

Should I do the exchange or not?

The cost would be aprox 500$

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

I do not want to void the warranty.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it wont void the warranty....

5. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

i read that mine is not user upgradable as is not mentioned as user upgradable. Nevertheless, if that is the case what drive do you reccomend

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

just keep the original drive if you have any problems put it back in. there is no warranty void if removed sticker anywhere. If you put it back correctly they can not even tell that the computer has been opened.

7. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

For the non-unibody MBP's, replacing the HD does void the warranty.

Although it is not a very tricky operation, any traces you leave behind would be noticeable, for instance you would have to remove the tape holding down the wires near the HD or you could easily bend one of the clutches of the soft AL case. These would be strong clues for the repair people.

Considering the changes, the cpu freq. does not tell the whole tale. I think a more complete approach to two machines would steer you to buy one. I know I am tempted every time I go near a unibody (as a Santa Rosa 2.2 owner).

Probably waiting for the next refresh might be a good idea though.

8. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

the problem about waiting is that the price I can sell my will be lower,and by December I have to buy the extended applecare, so I would have to factor that in as well.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

No - it does not void the warranty. This issue has been discussed to death on many threads.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

what version MBP would you be getting?

because even if you go with the $1699 version. to say it would only $500 out of pocket, you are planning on getting about $1300 for your current 2 y/o machine.

if so, i see that as very optimistic. especially with all the recent price cuts, and the fact that your machine has the dreaded 8600 card.

here in Chicago, similar machines are going for about $900 on CL.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Prior to the unibody MBPs the hard drive was not considered a user replaceable hard drive. Apple has seemingly always played hard ball when they notice an "unauthorized" upgrade. While technically speaking the operation won't void the warranty, apple seems to think it is if the computer has to go into service - its a royal pain in the neck.

12. alanlindsay macrumors member

Seriously, if you don't need a new computer now, wait for Arrandale ( prob Q1 '10 ). Nehalem + 32nm is going to be awesome.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

No, everyones opinion has been thrown around. Basically it is ok if they cant tell, but is void if they see you changed it. But, you can get one put in at an authorized dealer to keep apple care. Who cares anyway, I dont trust anything I see on here.

14. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I'm having my SuperDrive replaced on my '07 SR MBP 2.4 -- I specifically asked the genius if I could replace the HD myself and he said it was perfectly acceptable as long as I didn't break anything during the install process. He said Apple will not service the drive as part of Apple Care, but the machine would still be covered as normal.

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Id get that in writing, he said she said will get you in a lot of trouble.

16. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'd wait too. integrated battery + faster less power draining chipset + 200m series graphics card = One amazing laptop.

17. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Personally the 160gb drive included originally is becomming too small for my uses. I have read that it will not void if nothing is broken during replacement, is really worth it to get it installed at a authorized dealer over doing it yourself?

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree it won't void your warranty, but I've seen enough examples of apple stating that x problem will not be covered because the laptop was opened up to upgrade the HD.

Personally, I'd do it myself, because I used to work on laptops/desktops but I just wanted to highlight that while the exact verbiage in the warranty does not state by opening the laptop voids the warranty, you still may incur headaches dealing with apple, should a warranty issue arise.

19. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Ah ok. I also didn't mention that I do have some experience working on laptops, mostly with dell latitudes.....

20. oregon2 macrumors regular

Doesn't matter if you have to sell lower. Right now upgrading would not really be upgrading. The performance increase would be negligible, you would just be getting the new design. Very soon, though, we will actually see a proper boost, both in terms of CPU and GPU. That is when you want to upgrade, if you need it.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Since you're otherwise satisfied with your machine, I'd say to upgrade the hd with a larger, faster one. I stuck a scorpio black in my 15" 2.33, and could tell a noticeable performance difference along with more storage over the stock 120 gig drive.

Look at www.ifixit.com to see if you're up to it, or if you'd rather pay a 3rd party to do it.

Yeah, you do have a year and change on your applecare. But I'd say the odds are if you have to take your rig in for service at its age, it would be for the hd (which would be replaced) or for the infamous nvidia 8600 malfunction. Even the biggest dunderhead at the genius bar wouldn't try to say that.

You might as well get all the use out of your machine that you can, period. Keep using it until it no longer does what you want/need it to do. And even if Apple came out with new laptops with bada$$ mobile quads today, I'd say the same thing.

22. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the suggestions. I do not think I can change the HDD myself. I could probably do it, but I have treated this machine like a baby, so I am would not want to break something while I am changing the HHD>

Due to the exchange rate, I can get almost the same money if I sell it here and buy a new one n the states. That is the reason that it would "only" cost me
    500$.

Nevertheless I have decided that I will try one of the wireless network HDD and see how it goes, and just keep it lean on board.

I would have liked a unibody, but I guess I will wait, and just purchase an extended apple care as well on ebay.

23. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I also have an early 08 mbp and don't plan on upgrading until at least next year and arrandale

24. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I've been told by Apple people that exchanging your HD yourself will void your warranty. It has to be done by an Apple certified technician. However, I just had my MBP in for service, the ODD was broken, and they didn't mention anything about the new larger and faster HD I had put in myself. So it's most likely no problem.