Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard164

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
When I try to start, I get the chime, Gray/Blue Tapestry screen with Apple, wheel spins for 30 secs, then stops.
I bought Install Discs. Tried to boot off Install DVD by pressing "C". I get Gray/Blue screen, turns green. Error message tell me to reboot. When I reboot, I get the same message.
What do I do next?

Richard164

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Reset PRAM and NVRAM

Thanks for the link. I used it to reset the PRAM and NVRAM, but still no joy:(

Richard164

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Apple Store/Discs

The closest Apple Store is 90 miles from here. The closest Authorized center has very poor ratings and not worth visiting:(

I called Apple and gave them the S/N for the computer when I ordered the Install DVDs. This doesn't eliminate the possibility of a mistake, but the DVDs weren't bought from a 3rd party.

Also, the battery on this Macbook Pro has swollen up and ruptured the case. Is there and warranty on a battery this old?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Also, the battery on this Macbook Pro has swollen up and ruptured the case. Is there and warranty on a battery this old?

The same that covers the rest of your mac... so probably none.

You could call Apple and inquire about the Nvidia issue... not sure how far that would bring you.

Richard164

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Free fix

I really appreciate the help from this form. I drove 95 miles to the closest Apple Store today to get the MBP checked out. It is indeed the NVIDIA problem. Apple is fixing it for free. I'm 2 months within the 4 year timeline for getting the video card replaced for free...$500 worth. I only wish they could send it back to me, but they refused. I have to make the 190 mile round trip to pick it up. At least it will be fixed and useable again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.