Price Advice Early-2009 20" iMac 2.66Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThirteenXIII, May 13, 2012.

1. ThirteenXIII, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Looking at a early 2009 iMac 20" 2.66Ghz 320GB 2GB ram, AppleCare until January 2013.
    They're selling it for $500 - is this a fair price for this generation of iMacs?

I'm probably going to throw in a SSD or 3TB 7200RPM drive depending and 4gb ram.

Well be used for some photoshop, dreams eager, light final cut edits, etc

Any really known issues with these at all?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd check mac2sell.com for a rough idea of what you should be paying.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm gauging more along the lines of personal opinion if its worth the purchase. definitely seems like a solid machine.

1 year of warranty left not bad either.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

not bad, seem alike a decent investment. Slap in some more ram 4-8GB maybe toss in a better hard drive or SSD and you're set.
    Though i'm not sure if it matters but a refurb 21" iMac is 999$ double that cost but with more power and punch if you want to do longer term productivity.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

That is my current machine that I purchased in March of 2009 and I have had no issues except for the hdd failing. That of course was covered by AppleCare and halfway through AppleCare I had a new hard drive. I think $500 is a great deal since I was selling mine for $700 and was offered $600 for it with the same configuration. I do have all of the original accessories and box though, so if that's not the case with the one you're looking at, then I would offer less.I decided not to sell it though and glad that I didn't because it is still a great machine. And instead of installing a new HDD or SSD, just use a firewire external and put in 8GB of RAM. I will keep this Mac until it dies.

EDIT: I am also running the most up-to-date version of OS X Lion and use it as my media hub streaming it to all my other devices.

6. thekev, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're upgrading ram, you should just max it considering the price difference is negligible. If you are going to run Lion (and soon Mountain Lion), I'd suggest this even more.

By the way, macofalltrades says around $600-650 on a 2008 with similar specs (also core 2 duo, clocked the same, not sure if it's the same cpu model). What I like about this one is the warranty, although I'd verify with a serial before purchasing. That seems pretty high for an '08 to me, but yours sounds pretty good as long as the display is still in good condition, and the backlight is relatively even.

7. ThirteenXIII, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's actually an Early 2009 2.66Ghz 20" model.
    Decided to pick it up today, was in excellent condition. Grabbed 8GB ram waiting for the SSD to show up and will just use a FireWire 800 external fro the mean time. this should be a decent machine for some moderate editing and some very light gaming.

AppleCare warranty until Jan 2013, proof of purchase, applecare registration, confirmed by apple no issues reported or repairs needed.

All in all not a bad purchase I was alittle hesitant as noted above the refurb 21" can be had for 929-999 but didnt really want to spend over a grand after SSD, RAM, CPU, etc.