Early 2009 iMac buyers got screwed.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by definitive, Oct 20, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

New iMac's have 4 memory slots, meaning that the buyer can get 8gigs of RAM by purchasing 4 2gig memory sticks at a much reduced price ($200 or less) than having to buy 2 4gig memory slots (at $500+). It would have made more sense if they released the Early 2009 iMac's with DDR2 RAM instead since it would have been a more affordable alternative. :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Aadhil macrumors regular

So what? That's life in the tech industry. I bought my Imac two months ago and I'm happy I got it when I did. I probably won't buy another desktop computer for the next 5 years.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I think 'got screwed' is a bit harsh. Other consumer items carry the same risk of being updated soon after purchase and we don't get all 'hey, I got screwed' about - why is it whenever Apple update someone has to start these useless threads of 'buyers of 20xx ixxx's got screwed'???

/ignore

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

6. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

you're completely missing the point i was making - if i decide to upgrade my ram, it will cost me more than it would on the newer imacs. it has nothing to do with the system depreciating in value (which is expected to happen no matter what). it was a poor decision by apple on how its memory structure was implemented.

7. icemantx macrumors regular

Saying we got screwed is a bit harsh - I have to agree with the other poster. I have an early 2009 iMac with 4GB RAM. I knew when I bought it that it only had 2 slots and upgrading to 8GB would be expensive. I decided that was an acceptable limitation. If only having 2 slots was a limitation you could not live with then why did you buy the early 2009 iMac?

As time moves on technology advances and gets cheaper. This is a great update for Apple and if you do not like the limitations of your current machine, there is always eBay... Which I have thought about myself even though my computer is only 7 months old.

The new iMacs are sweet!

8. Tommeh macrumors member

Why did you buy it when you knew this at the time?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What components had such drastic price drops?

Apple also murdered the resale value of the iMac as well for current owners.

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I got screwed buying my MacBook Pro early 2008. A year and a half later, and they have much better specs! And cheaper!

Not to mention how screwed I feel about my G4 PowerBook.

11. JAT macrumors 603

2008? Gimme a break! My iMac is from 2001. Talk about screwed, I had no idea Apple would ever make another product. Now, less than a decade later, they come out with these models? I can't believe the gall this company displays!!

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I got screwed buying that horse, and lo and behold they personally bitch slap me in the face by inventing this doohickey called the automobile. :rolleyes:

Threads like these are completely ridiculous.

13. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I disagree. I would think it has to do with real estate. Since they changed to a 16:9 format, they have more real estate to use on the bottom of the iMac which probably made room. Adding more memory slots isn't anything new for Apple. As products get refreshed, they've added and removed slots. I'm sure there are people out there saying they got screwed because they didn't get the SD slot in the early 2009 iMacs. I have an iMac from March of this year and, for me, 4GB is enough.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You were complaining the iMac had outdated hardware yesterday. :confused:

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Things didn't change much even when your drop the price $1,000. What components dropped that much to show a $1,000 drop?

Core 2 has only shown at most a $100 price drop. It's the same RAM and GPU selection just like yesterday.

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Cry me a river...why is this kind of thread always tolerated? It's technology. As it's adopted more, the prices go down. As it gets older, the prices go down. Did you feel screwed when you bought your iMac? No? Didn't think so...move along.

17. JAT macrumors 603

And now you complain about price drops?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That flew over you. :eek:

Look at my other posts.