Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
i recently bought an early 2009 model for a good price. It has the 2.66 cpu, 8gb ram (4x2), 640gb hd, GeForce GT 120.

I was thinking of buying some ram, maybe 16gb. Also a more modern Nvidia card. Possibly a 256gb ssd.

It seems that would make it passable for what I do : World of Warcraft, web, light video, music, animation.

I figure the upgrades would cost me about $400.

Keep it, upgrade it, sell it or gut it? Thoughts?

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I'd keep it (in fact, I have kept mine since 2009!). All three of your upgrades will net significant gains, with RAM being the most task-dependant one.

This machine has longer legs for the future as well, when you consider that: the 6 core 3.42GHz CPU is only a bit more than 300$ and going down; that PCI-E SSDs capable of 1000MB/s transfer are already available; and that 1400MB/s ones (faster than new Mac Pro) are just around the corner; that GPUs more powerful than those in the new Mac Pro cylinder are already available.

Right now, the only thing that the latest Mac Pros have over that machine is CPUs. Once a hex core 3.42GHz isn't enough for you, the 2009 MP is done. Otherwise, it will last a damn long time! :)

Loa

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Ya I kinda feel if I could spend $400 and keep it for another year or two its worth it.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Ya I kinda feel if I could spend $400 and keep it for another year or two its worth it.

I'm planning on keeping mine for more than 2 years! I say that fully aware that this mac pro is the first computer that I've kept for more than 4 years! It's almost 6 years old right now! Hard to believe that despite exponential growth for so many decades, I'm planning on keeping this one for longer than all of my other machines.

As I said, the only thing that's limited right now is the CPU. Everything else has a lot of space to grow.

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.