Early 2009 Mac Pro now up to 64GB!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LEStudios, Jan 25, 2010.

1. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

Other World Computing is selling the 64GB Kit that's eight 8GB DDR3 EEC Ram Modules for $3,559.99 ironically its the same price Apple sells the 32GB Kit for at the Apple Store when getting the configure to order option. Link is below! I'm happy new goal for 2010 is now a Mac Pro 2.93GHz (8-Core) Nahalem, four 2TB Western Digital Black with Apple Raid and 64GB DDR3! :D

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/85MP3S8M64GK/

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Pfft, 64GB is for scrubs. I'll take the 96GB for a MP OS X Server. :D

Anywho, I'm astonished at that much RAM in one machine..

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang that's a lot of ram for one machine. and a hefty price to get it

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I would agree with most of that but stay away from the Apple RAID Card it is worthless. :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I called them last week and they told me "no it is not supported". :(

Luckily I didn't make a purchase.

6. LEStudios thread starter macrumors 6502

LEStudios

Called who? OWC have to tested it plus I read about Apple EFI update to unlock the memory it's ONLY the 2009 Mac Pro line. Call again or email OWC. :cool:

7. LEStudios thread starter macrumors 6502

LEStudios

What's wrong with Apple RAID Card plus what other choices do I have? :confused:

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Very slow, overpriced and only works with OS X. I had the card in my 09 model and it was painfully slow.

Nanofrog can give you a ton of better options. A bit of searching around here will unearth threads with better RAID card options.

But as I said I agree with most of your wish list. I just would hate to see you waste money on the Apple RAID card when there are so many better options.

In the end I removed the card from my Pro and installed an Intel SSD with 3 WD Caviar Black 2TB's. I can't say enough good things about the 2TB Blacks absolutely outstanding performance for such a large drive.

9. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

These modules are obviously RDIMMs. A cheaper way to a big chunk of memory would be the mixed mode with 4GB RDIMMs. 4x8GB + 4x4GB for a total of 48GB would be less expensive.

10. Nadav35 macrumors member

64-128GB in 2008 mac pro?

Has anyone confirmed that there exists 8GB 800 MHZ FB-DIMMS? I know from reading somewhere that the Harpertown chipset has a max memory capacity of 128GB. I am sure the 2008's can also go higher than 32GB, though has it been tested?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

In general:
    8GB FB-DIMM (667MHz) = Available (obviously not what you want for an '08)
    8GB FB-DIMM (800MHz) = Samples, but not yet in full production

Neither has the larger heatsinks use for Mac RAM though. However, theoretically, you could get heatsinks and apply them yourself (IIRC, I've seen them somewhere - MaxUpgrades?).

12. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I use the Apple RAID card with three 1Tb disks in my '09 MP to edit HD film. Maybe there are better choices out there, but it has been flawless in my experience, whereas I've witnessed crashes on other systems. Maybe I'm a lucky idiot.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

I take it you've not used it with fast SAS drives (i.e. Cheetah 15K.6/.7 or Fujitsu 15K rpm <MBA prefix> units) or ever had battery problems?

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Correct... just stock Apple drives, and no battery issues (yet.)

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I ended up pulling the Apple RAID Card. It is just worthless. I got it to increase productivity but in the end it caused more problems than it solved.

It does not work with 10.6.2 very well at all.

I was getting beachballs and kernel panics regularly. Why? Because the card would get my RAID 1 mirror drives out of sync. OS X did not know how to handle that and would panic. Now I could understand if I was using some older outdated hardware but not an 09 Mac Pro with an 09 Apple RAID Card. So after several calls to Apple they replaced the card. The replacement card had the same problems. Apple does not know how to make a RAID Card that "just works".

Save your money, save your time and find a different card.