Early 2009 Macbook: First really loud fan, then... NOTHING!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JasonK, Jun 3, 2010.

1. JasonK macrumors member

My brother had me order him a macbook a year and 3 weeks ago (grrrrr!) and yesterday it stopped working. It will not power on, nothing. He said, the fan started acting strange then it stopped working. Any idea what might be causing this? I can replace a hard drive, but I think if it was the drive or the ram it would at least turn on or make some sort of noise. Please let me know what your thoughts are, he is a poor college student, and I am a poor graduate. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

In theory it could be the RAM, try taking 1 stick out, if it doesn't work try swapping sticks. If the RAM is unrecognized Macbooks usually won't boot up. hard disk is very unlikely to be the culprit as it would boot up with bad disk.

My money is that your logic board is somehow fried. If the RAM trick doesn't work, go to the Apple store. If it is the logic board and it's only 3 weeks out of warranty there is a slight chance they'll feel sorry for you and give you a new board. At the very least they'll test it and let you know what the problem is for sure. It's worth a try.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

A liquid spill to the keyboard, bad keyboard or bad logic board. When you press the power button, does the white light on the front of the macbook light up?