Early 2009 MacBook randomly shuts down, now won't boot!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dandeco, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

I was using my early 2009 MacBook this morning with it plugged into an AC outlet, but then in the middle of doing something the screen went black and the computer powered off. I tried turning it back on but nothing happened. Then I tried resetting the SMC, but that didn't help. The MacBook is a little warm, so I am going to let it cool off a bit.

Any help please?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What colour LED are you getting on the magsafe?

First thing I'd try would be to do an old-school style SMC reset by pulling the battery.

3. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

The LED is green.

I tried the SMC reset, but it didn't work. I'm going to take it to an Apple Store this weekend.

4. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the Apple Store said it sounded like that the logic board died. :( So it's back to the eMac for me!

5. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

And now I sold the downed MacBook for scrap/parts and ordered a mid-2009 white MacBook as a replacement for on-the-go computing and any graphics/media-intensive work! (Reason being, I like the look and design of those old polycarbonate MacBooks, and I wanted one that can run Mountain Lion!) I'll still have my eMac handy for when I need to use a PowerPC-only application...

6. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so I got the replacement mid-2009 2.13 GHz MacBook. With a bigger hard drive installation, upgrade to 6 GB of RAM and installing Snow Leopard followed by an upgrade to Mountain Lion, it almost feels like a brand new Mac just purchased from the Apple Store!