Early 2009 MBP - HDD + SSD upgrade. Please advise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdourado, Aug 3, 2011.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,

How are you?
    I'm wanting to upgrade my MBP, but I really need some advice and knowledge.
    My MBP is a 17" early 2009 Unibody C2D 2.66.
    When I bought the MBP, I replaced the standard 320gb drive with an OCZ Agility 1 SSD with 120gb. It has run flawlessly and I really like the SSD.
    Now, for my needs, I need a second HDD on the laptop.
    I bought an Optibay and I'm thinking about the following:

Buy a Western Digital WD10TPVT 1tb drive. Put the WD10TPVT on the HDD slot of the MBP and the SSD on the optibay.
    Now, my questions:
    - The WD10TPVT is 12,5mm thick. Will it fit without any issue?
    - Does the WD10TPVT have any sort of sudden motion sensor? Will it cause issues?
    - I currently have the OS on the SSD. If I put the SSD on the optibay, will the system boot?
    - Is there any problems running the SSD with the OS on the optibay as far as speed and reliability?

Please help me out! Really looking forward for this upgrade!
    Thank you.

Best regards!

2. Labaguette macrumors regular

hello,
    maybe you have just skipped on the fact that there are now a total of 3 9.5mm 2.5" 1TB Hard Disks, from Toshiba, Western Digital and Samsung i believe.
    SSDs in Optibay works fine, it is advisable because the sleep mode for HDDs is only available in the HDD slot. SMS is on board in MacBooks from 2009, so no need to worry about that. While running an Intel X25-M G2 in my Optibay i did not have any problems regarding speed or reliability, i mean after all it's essentially a standard S-ATA port breakout cable!

Best regards.

3. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hi,

I'm aware of the 9,5mm 1tb drives, they're just hard to get here in Portugal.
    A 12.5mm WD is much easier.
    Would I have big advantages going for a 9,5mm drive?

As far as sleep, with the OS on the SSD on the optibay, would it work?

Regards!

4. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i have a 12.5mm (i believe) 1.5tb in my hdd and another hdd in the optibay and it fits fine... i have a 13" macbook pro 2009

5. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

So I can get a hold of a Samsung M8 1tb which is 9.5mm.
    So, should I put the Samsung on the Optibay, boot the mac, format ans use the drive for my data storaege, or is it better to use the HDD slot for the samsung and put the SSD on the optibay?

Cheers!

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

The 9.5 mm has a higher storage density, so it will be much faster than the 12.5 mm version. WD Scorpio Blue Overview:
    http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=140#tab3

12.5 mm == WD10TPVT
    9.5 mm == WD10JPVT

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_storage_density#Effects_on_performance

and

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/1TB-WD-Scorpio-Blue-25-HD-QuickTake/

7. tivoboy macrumors 68040

older MBP

Is there a way to tell if these newer scorpio blue 1TB will mount in an older MBP? I can't seem to find the specs for the HD bay in a 2008 MBP pre-unibody.

I like the idea of the speed for an HD with 5400 and 1TB space, but don't see any references to adaptors or space.

Also, would things like the HD safety features, dynamic shock absorbers (drive stopping and head parking) work in the optibay or only in the regular HD bay?